The Sewing Place

Sylvia's UFO

SewRuthieSews

Sylvia's UFO
« on: August 30, 2023, 17:25:36 PM »
Earlier today I was over at my older friends place helping pack the kitchen up before the new one gets installed.
I was wearing one of my self sewn blouses. "That's a lovely blouse" says Sylvia, "Oh thank you!" I reply "I made it myself".
"Ah" says Sylvia "that reminds me I have a blouse in a similar style I cut out about 30 years ago...."

Long story about cutting out blouse, then broken sewing machine, eventually getting sewing machine fixed, couldn't find blouse bits etc. Anyway short version is I've brought the blouse home to sew up for her before Christmas!

Happily its all there
Already cut out  - Front, back, sleeve, yokes, 2 part collar and cuffs - still with tissue pinned on
Also pattern envelope and instructions and the spare fabric, as well as matching buttons.
So it really is a kit for a blouse. All I need to provide is some matching thread, some interfacing and then 'just' sew it up!

Acorn

Re: Sylvia's UFO
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 17:27:09 PM »
Ooh lovely!  I hate the pinning and cutting out stage, so that sounds ideal!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

realale

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 22:03:19 PM »
30 years? Well marinated then  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

smurf44

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 15:01:32 PM »
Earlier today I was over at my older friends place helping pack the kitchen up before the new one gets installed.
I was wearing one of my self sewn blouses. "That's a lovely blouse" says Sylvia, "Oh thank you!" I reply "I made it myself".
"Ah" says Sylvia "that reminds me I have a blouse in a similar style I cut out about 30 years ago...."

Long story about cutting out blouse, then broken sewing machine, eventually getting sewing machine fixed, couldn't find blouse bits etc. Anyway short version is I've brought the blouse home to sew up for her before Christmas!

Happily its all there
Already cut out  - Front, back, sleeve, yokes, 2 part collar and cuffs - still with tissue pinned on
Also pattern envelope and instructions and the spare fabric, as well as matching buttons.
So it really is a kit for a blouse. All I need to provide is some matching thread, some interfacing and then 'just' sew it up!
i love this fabric its gorgeous

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 22:43:57 PM »
So having said Sylvia could have this for Christmas I thought I'd better get moving.
I looked at the pattern and its dated 1979 so I guess that's when it was cut out!

I spent all afternoon working on it. I realised its Viyella fabric, which presses beautifully but ravels a lot so there is some judicious use of the overlocker.
Anyway so far it has front bands, a two layer yoke, collar and collar stand. I have got the instructions and go between following them and doing my own thing.

Better crack on tomorrow and wed as she wants to collect before bridge on Wednesday evening :-) and I still have loads and loads to do.
Wish me luck!

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 23:32:51 PM »
It looks like a timeless pattern, still wearable in 2023. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 06:17:39 AM »
I had a rather pretty summer dress in a Rose and Hubble print that only sat for a couple of years. One or two of the pins had rusted in and I couldn't get the marks out.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 06:45:19 AM »
Bodies do change in 30 years. I am wondering how this will fit Sylvia. I suppose you have nothing to lose.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 07:27:04 AM »
@Puzzler    Yes, I’m wondered that too. 🤔 Some people hardly change as the years roll by but others… I was a size 10, 30 yrs ago. 😢

🤣🤣🤣

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 09:43:43 AM »
Yeah she reckons she's the same size and she looks like she is. I'll sew the side seams and sleeve seams with a slightly narrower seam allowance to give a tiny bit more room.

The pattern has the sleeves set in flat and the cuffs added afterwards, but I find it easier to work on the cuff with only the sleeve attached (not the whole garment) so I might make the sleeve up as a whole and then set it in.
One of the views is a short sleeve with a machined hem, so if I was doing that one I'd definitely do it flat.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 18:53:51 PM »
I finished the blouse, Sylvia was delighted and it did fit (no photo though).
She thinks she cut it out in 1982, so only 41 years ago.

This last pic shows some of the buttons (snapped when I was halfway through sewing them on). She had bought exactly the right number - 11- for the view she had cut out, and kept them in their paper bag with the pattern pieces and the pattern for all that time!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 19:00:51 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 19:51:00 PM »
@SewRuthieSews looks good. 

realale

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 21:40:57 PM »
That's a lovely blouse and so neatly sewn. I couldn't get anything from 1982 on my body now. I was between children and was upset that my weight had gone up to 8st 4lbs. I think that's the weight of my left leg now.....  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (Not quite but I am definitely several stone heavier now!!)
I hope your friend gets some good wear out of her blouse.
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 23:01:30 PM »
I was 12 in 1982. Definitely wouldn't fit,
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 07:48:36 AM »
Bravo! 🥳

You did a fantastic job of sewing it up and kudos to Sylvia for being the same size 40yrs later! 😇

I’m also fascinated that you wouldn’t know that pattern was 40yrs old, as the cut is a classic style. Incredible really. I doubt many of my clothes would stand the test of time even assuming I could fit into them. DH on the other hand is still skinny as a whippet and has a few items from the 70’s that he can still wear inc. a colourful silk jacket…😎