The Sewing Place

What are you sewing?

Flobear

Re: What are you sewing?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2023, 11:48:32 AM »
A good idea to start a general thread like this, @SewRuthieSews .  The Members' Diaries are a great addition but it's nice to have a sort of 'digest' where you can get an overview of what's going on.

I'm on the verge of sandwiching and quilting my Belated Sparkling Stars.

Ongoing is the EPP 'thing' that sis in Dorset started with my Mum. It's something I can do listening to the TV or an audio book but there are a helluva lot of bloomin' hexagons. And, as the knitting season is almost upon us, it might get put away until after the winter.

And I have a pattern and a plan for a Bookcase Quilt to replace the green sheet that is currently hanging in front of the 'downstairs attic' which is at the end of the conservatory.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 11:51:04 AM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bjay

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2023, 12:25:32 PM »
Well if I hadn't been laid low with this yukky thing that has sucked all my energy I would have begun a big (double ish)quilt using a woven lattice pattern.
I posted the trials on another thread.
Weekly Sewing Club August 9th
I have fabric from stash in glorious colours, I have searched and printed off 2 patterns to combine and it should have been posted
I may set foot in sewing room and take a photo of fabric later.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 13:05:59 PM by Bjay »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

KayK

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 13:27:06 PM »
With a house move (potentially!) I have decided to get shot of all the its and bits we all hang on to, but have enough Fat Quarters and a few eighths to make a couple of quilts for the Linus Project (small ones!).  I have spent this morning during our power cut to cut out the shapes, and will start stitching later on.  I like to have project on the go, but there is no time line for this!  I like to back my quilts with a brushed cotton sheet as it's really cosy.  I am a tight wotsit, and really don't like paying for proper 'quilting' size backing fabric as it's seriously expensive!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

WendyW

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 13:41:46 PM »
I'm working my way through a stack of flimsies for charity quilts, getting them sandwiched and quilted. We have a drop-off next weekend and I have 4 more to finish, for a final stack of 14, I think.

Bjay

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2023, 15:29:24 PM »
Here's the stash fabric for the quilt. It was bought way back in July 2021. I found the receipt in the bag

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sheilago

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 22:42:42 PM »
Working my way through my scrap box, making 6” squares, which will eventually become scrappy quilts probably for Project Linus. Would also like to start a new baby play quilt, when I get a chance.
My daughter is restarting her dog grooming business in December, following time off for 2 children, so I’m thinking about making some quick and easy festive dog bandanas for her first few customers.

datcat23

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2023, 02:59:31 AM »
*datty tip-toes into the room* ....... as many would know, I am NOT A QUILTER    :laughing:

But, I am struggling big time with my sewjo, so I have found myself looking for anything else to do, but make clothes.

After my very negative experience quite a few years ago, I am seriously wary of joining any charity groups, but I realise I need to do something with my left over fabrics.  The local quilters club has a program called Blankets of Love.  I don't mind these, because I don't have to talk to anyone, or join the group.  I can just make them up, and get my friend who is part of the group to donate them on my behalf. 

They are little flannel backed quilts, that don't need wadding, but are just the right size to use up my scraps.  I have been making up 24in square quilt tops, plus an 8in memory block, and using my embroidery machine to quilt them.  Nice little bite sized things to do.

But, I do have some French General fabric waiting for the coordinate to arrive, and then that will be a quilt for our bed .... wholely overdue. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Flobear

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2023, 08:33:21 AM »
Sounds Quilty to me @datcat23 !
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2023, 12:19:12 PM »
...I am NOT A QUILTER...

[Stuff about lovely little quilts I have made]

[Stuff about a quilt I am going to make]

@datcat23 You Are A Quilter!!!

Welcome - the biscuits are in the corner behind that pile of wadding.  If you like Garibaldis you'll have to get in there before @Lowena arrives.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2023, 14:56:56 PM »
Yup, welcome to the Dark side proper.....one rule only.......if you eat the Garibaldis, you replace them  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2023, 16:01:58 PM »
I actually have something!  A Christmas tree block for the bib of an apron.

twopence

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2023, 21:03:49 PM »
This is the quilt that I have been working on this week.

Morgan

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2023, 12:40:50 PM »
Goodness -  so much going on. 
I enjoyed reading this thread and once again say how much I admire the persistence and patience you all have to finish these projects. 

I can do P&Q and thankfully have recognised that for me it must be small projects only and hold some interest or purpose.  Tends to be one or two items every three years or so - eg. Scrap busting washable doormats or the In the Hoop embroidery play mats for new babies arriving in the framily. 

No darkside projects on the go, although from time to time I flirt with the idea of making one of those very striking tuffets or a morrocan pouffe.   Then I think of all that repetition and get over myself.

Bjay

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2023, 13:43:06 PM »
@Diane have a look at Cotton Patch
. They have a lot of quilt kits and patterns

At one time they were a shop but recently they are online only.  Some good designs at different levels

Sheilago

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2023, 09:34:14 AM »
My DIL has just asked if I could make memory quilts from my grandchildren’s clothes. They’re now aged 6 and 2 and when they recently moved house, she found bags with all her favourite clothes for them. I’m quite looking forward to coming up with something. I’ve only ever done that type of quilt once and it was just with shirt fabric, which was easy to use. Will be looking online for inspiration as I won’t start until October probably.Must check I’ve got iron-on stabiliser as I’ll need that, I think.