The Sewing Place

Guess what I have part II

Bill

Guess what I have part II
« on: September 17, 2023, 08:50:59 AM »
I couldn't help it.
There I was, innocently browsing the tinterweb for a vintage singer zig zag stitch foot when out of the blue I saw links to 201k machines. Sales. Videos. Pics. Forum articles. Restoration hints etc. This happens alot as many of you undoubtedly discover from time to time.
Then it caught my eye. A lovely 1937 treadle powered 201k in a cabinet with a motor already fitted. It was half the original selling price. It wasn't on auction so no fear of some rich sod outbidding me. Not quite immaculate, but definitely in very good condition.
Arrived at the owners house to a warm welcome and had a play with it. Running smooth as melted butter.
There's a wee bit of dust in the usual places and some sticky stuff on the arm (old sellotape probably) and parts of the decals wearing through but that's about the extent of the damage besides the usual scratches on the cabinet. But luckily no one's tried to half arse a bodge at covering it in B&Q bargain varnish.
Oooooh I can't wait to get sorting it out today!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

StitchinTime

Re: Guess what I have part II
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 09:10:06 AM »
Lovely looking machine and I love the understated cabinet. It won’t look out of place in a modern living room and doesn’t scream sewing machine.

Hope you find a zig-zag foot soon before temptation shows you another machine.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
Oooh, nice!!  Good job you were with your brother and didn't have to try to get that on your bike  :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 09:34:08 AM »
That is lovely and the cabinet is a rather nice piece of furniture. Hope you enjoy it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bill

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
@StitchinTime ah the zig zag foot...
I've seen few on eBay etc but I saw one in particular on YouTube which the owner says is the best one. It works by covering the feed dogs so they can't work and the attachment itself pulls the fabric through. This way, so the youtuber says, the feed dogs and foot aren't fighting each other which in my mind does make sense. Can't flippin find one anywhere though. Argh.

Does anyone here have a zig zag foot? Does it work? Any advice? Anyone wanna sell me one?  :D

Celia

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 10:20:58 AM »
That machine looks brilliant can’t wait to see it all sorted by your good self.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 11:06:23 AM »
@Bill What does this zigzag foot look like? do you have a picture?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bill

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 11:11:53 AM »

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 11:15:54 AM »
Sneaky devil did well. I think you will find the 201 has great punch power for the heavier duty gear you like to sew. This is what I am told anyway. I would love a 201 but a. I don’t actually need one b. not sure where I would store it. Enjoy your new toy and play nicely with it.

KayK

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 12:06:03 PM »
Here @Bill
https://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/bigatts.html
This lady is the font of all knowledge regarding vintage machines.  I had a 201K some years ago, and wished I hadn't sold it. It was operated by a knee mechanism, which did actually make my leg quite sore using it.  I wish I had the knowledge to make into a foot pedal operated machine, but didn't, so flogged it. It was the most perfect straight stitcher ever!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Diane

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2023, 12:10:29 PM »
@Bill I see what you mean, extortionate prices  :faints: You could always put a post up on FB to see if anybody has one they would be willing to part with.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 12:12:14 PM »
It looks in beautiful condition, @Bill  ! Enjoy playing with it x

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023, 13:27:01 PM »
@Bill The Swiss zig zaggers go for silly money now, especially if they have the full set of cams. It looks as though you can drop the feed dogs on a 201, so you might get good results with one of the other types of zig zag attachments.
https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.com/2012/03/19/singer-201k-feed-dogs-how-to-lower-them/

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023, 14:10:49 PM »
What a marvellous find @Bill.

Silver Rose

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2023, 14:21:00 PM »
Oooh, nice find @Bill , enjoy sewing with it.
Still learning