The Sewing Place

Ooops!! But it was a bargain...

Bodgeitandscarper

Ooops!! But it was a bargain...
« on: September 18, 2023, 10:27:54 AM »
...even if they say it doesn't sew, although the light and motor work.

"It" is a Bernina 700, (the vintage one, not the new 700 embroidery one!).

I reckon if the electrics are ok, then how hard can it be to get it working?  And I got it for £65 instead of the £90 they were asking - including delivery.

Wish me luck, it should arrive by Wednesday.

PS  I blame @Bill with all his talk of his new 201k  :P

Bill

Re: Ooops!! But it was a bargain...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 10:51:59 AM »
Moi? I'm innocent  :P
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

KayK

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 11:37:17 AM »
Gotta love an old Bernina!  I have two now, got rid of my 'computerised things'.  I have an 801, which is whisper quiet, and so easy to sort out, and a 1008, which I am liking more and more!

What a bargain!  Have a great time with it!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 19:08:49 PM »
It arrived today.

It was totally seized up, so I took all the panels off I could and oiled every thing that looked like it should move.
It still didn't work, although there was a teensy bit of movement.  After a lot of investigation, and taking bits apart, I discovered the sticking bit was actually the gear that turned the shuttle race.  A bit I couldn't work out how to get at, but after a lot of oil and then removing a couple of screws, lo and behold it worked.
It took a couple of goes to put bits back so the shuttle turned at the correct time with the needle going up and down, but it works.
Unfortunately the extension table was broken in transit, but the seller has given me a bit of money back so I could get another one off ebay, so that's sorted.  I'm amazed it broke as it's metal!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 19:31:44 PM »
It's a very handsome machine, @Bodgeitandscarper
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bill

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 20:38:44 PM »
Very nice indeed and good job on getting her running @Bodgeitandscarper  :) Shame about the extension table.
Does anyone know why bernina's have such narrow bases?
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 22:50:40 PM »
Because they don't need to be big. They're heavy enough to be stable and the lectric gubbins.is.all at the back.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 06:40:59 AM »
 :D Excellent save. I was a bit surprised at the extension table splitting. The delivery people may have dropped it from a great height.  >:)

Celia

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 09:13:45 AM »
That looks great it made me a bit sad because I used to have one which I lent to a very elderly  friend unfortunately when her husband died her family moved her and no one could find it, I said not to worry but I was rather sad.