The Sewing Place

McCalls 4007

b15erk

McCalls 4007
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
I had this pattern cut out before I found I had Shingles, so this was made completely under the influence of anti viral meds and Tramadol! :)

I finished it last night, and on the whole I'm very pleased with it, although I would change a few things next time.

I find the front band is very wide, and next time I will narrow it down.  It's also very fiddly to do the front edges, which end up being quite bulky.  I would also use the most lightweight interfacing on the FB, as I used the only grey one I had, and it rippled a bit.

I found the idea of a wrap around tie to be potentially bulky, so I just had a tie on the left front.  The inside I fastened with a loop in the side seam, and a press stud fastener.

Too much hand sewing for me, and I must change this, and try for a machine friendly front band :)

On the whole though, I love it, although it's sleeveless because I didn't have enough fabric, this is why the front band is pieced too.  On to matching trousers now.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: McCalls 4007
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
I do like that - though I agree with your comments about the interfacing in the front band.  :flower:
Unfortunately cross-over styles never look right on me.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Fabric Lover

Re: McCalls 4007
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Looks great Jessie. Are the trousers in the same fabric? Very funky!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)