The Sewing Place

Leather tote

Sara-S

Leather tote
« on: September 21, 2023, 22:36:18 PM »
This is leather tote 1.0. I followed some poor instructions on proportions, plus I did a poor job on the box pleats. So I thought the best thing to do was to finish it & learn what I could from it. It has a fabric lining with an interior pocket. But it’s awkwardly tall & narrow. So I will use it for a project tote & try again with different proportions.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ouryve

Re: Leather tote
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 08:55:41 AM »
It definitely has bucket proportions.

That's a very pretty chair you have it hanging from.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 10:12:08 AM »
@Ouryve thank you.  The chair is an oak rocker. (I love oak!)

As for the tote, more than one person suggested that it was the right shape for toting a bottle of wine. Though, given its color, I suggested champagne. :VV:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:14:04 AM »
Sewing with leather isn’t as easy as cotton so I think you did pretty well. I’ve sewn bags with pleather and that was definitely a learning experience!

If you’re interested in trying other bag designs, there are some great YouTube tutorials out there but one person I really like is Debbie Shore. I think her videos are well made with good clear instructions and she has produced a massive variety of videos and has published several sewing books too. Her books cover a variety of sewing techniques inc. patchwork & quilting and I’ve bought several of them that include projects made with fat quarters. I’ve also used a few of these projects as simple tutorials for new sewers in our weekly sewing group to get them started.

https://youtu.be/fDN6B9ro9ns?si=ax8YSXCEpt7uIhPa

This was one of the first bags I ever made and it helped me overcome my fear of zips. 😂

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 12:11:13 PM »
Here is leather tote 2.0. Better size & shape, though it still had a glitch or 2.  Happy overall, but of course, it’s still a learning experience.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]