The Sewing Place

Online fabric store pet hates.

Ouryve

Online fabric store pet hates.
« on: September 27, 2023, 15:48:23 PM »
I shall start with this. I love this pattern. It's fun and the colours are perfect for me. I shan't be shelling money out for it, though, as there is not a single indication of whether the fabric itself is mulberry with the stripes printed on, or if it is in fact white with everything printed on it. If the latter, a pair of pyjamas would be £50 and a lot of time spent, only to look like old dishrags after 3 washes as it's a dark design and even the slightest fading would be obvious.

https://lamazifabrics.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/zebra-on-mulberry-cotton-jersey-fabric

All it would take is a shot of the selvedge or a flash of the reverse to make an informed buying decision.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 18:00:54 PM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ploshkin

Re: Online fabric store pet hates.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 17:21:04 PM »
Hmm, yes, there are 4 images but none show the reverse of the fabric. 
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 17:38:55 PM »
Whilst there is nothing to confirm either way I would take a bet that the base fabric is white.  It's much easier to print dark over white than it is to print white over dark.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 18:05:53 PM »
Whilst there is nothing to confirm either way I would take a bet that the base fabric is white.  It's much easier to print dark over white than it is to print white over dark.

And this is why I left it. I knew I would be disappointed by this one.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 18:17:27 PM »
And is it worth the money?
So many times I have ordered something only for the fabric to "feel" cheap and nasty!
Only last week I visited my favourite only local shop and was talking to the lovely lady who owns it, she said the shop was "disappointing" because it didn't have spare cutters for my eyelet punch.
I told her off and said she stocks nearly everything I ever need (plus those impulse buys) but that the best thing is being able to feel the fabric or see how big a pattern is on the fabric, or even how it is printed!
After you take postage into account the bricks and mortar shop is good value for money as you do not waste so much on the badly taken photos
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 18:56:03 PM »
Oh, what luxury to have a local fabric shop.  Keep using them.

There is a P@Q fabric shop in Rochester with lots of cotton fabrics, but if you are looking for otherr types of fabric around here there's nothing.   :cry:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 19:06:31 PM »
My local dress fabric shops are sew fabrics in Darlington - 2 hours each way in 2 buses each way and while they have a lot of stock, they don't get much new stock so I'm finding less and less that I like, there. And BST fabrics in South shields. 2 buses plus a long walk through a dodgy area - I keep getting lost trying to walk it on Google maps so won't try it in person, on my own

And Boyes!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 20:21:47 PM »
I expect it’s white base fabric.  I’ve had lots of their fabric and it’s always been good quality. 
Why not try an email to find out?

Ouryve

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 20:39:28 PM »
I've had lots of stuff from there, too, @Ohsewsimple and been pleased with most of it. I think I'll hold off as the colours are too dark for me to work with, for now, anyhow.