The Sewing Place

Thinking about QAYG for large quilts

Sheilago

Thinking about QAYG for large quilts
« on: October 10, 2023, 08:15:38 AM »
A few weeks ago DIL asked if I’d make memory quilts from old baby and toddler clothes and I happily said yes, picturing a couple of lap sized quilts. However, she has now asked if the quilts could be ‘king size’ and reversible as she has lots of clothes that she can’t part with.

I was a bit daunted by the prospect and tried to explain that it would take a long time and might be a bit bulky to quilt on a normal sewing machine.

I’m now thinking that QAYG might be the perfect answer as I could do it a  block at a time, at my leisure and see how big the quilts become. I’ve had a look at the excellent tutorial by @Iminei and it looks ideal.

I wondered if any of you had done memory quilts this way and what patterns  you’d used. Obviously this method means that there will be a grid element to the design, which I might want. I’m also thinking that if I used different quilting fabrics for the joining strips I could develop a different pattern.  ::thinks:: Any tips, inspiration would be welcome  :D

Iminei

Re: Thinking about QAYG for large quilts
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 09:07:01 AM »
Big Brother the second quilt I made from 'Imselfs old shirts was joined in two parts as it was bigger than a double .... it dragged a lil in the middle of the joining seam because of the 505 so the points weren't perfect but I added a few hearts made from scraps to ... Ahhem ... disguise complement and finish the design!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 09:26:35 AM »
QAYG doesn't have to have sashing, lumpy bits where the blocks join or hand joining on the back.  I can't now find the video where I learned the strip technique, but this quilt was QAYG.
https://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/quilts/weddingpressie/weddingpressie.htm
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 12:35:11 PM »
Thanks @Iminei and @BrendaP . Certainly food for thought, which is what I need. I’d just read the tutorial which suggests sashing and thought that’s how it had to be done. I’ve never done QAYG before.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 13:32:51 PM »
My bird quilt was QAYG, much the same method as Brenda's, although my strips were diagonal.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 15:41:30 PM »
I'm just here to enjoy the beautiful quilts  :loveit:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 17:06:10 PM »
Thanks @Acorn , you’d never guess these quilts were QAYG. I haven’t actually got the old clothes yet, so lots of time to think and plan  :D

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 17:56:42 PM »
I've just remembered (from thinking of the back of my quilt) that I actually did it in just two pieces, joined by the central diagonal.  It really was the best of both worlds work-wise.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 21:59:36 PM »
The strips can be as wide as you think will comfortably fit into the harp space of the sewing machine.

The joins on the front will be where there would be joins anyway.  Joins on the back will be one for each strip.  Choose a busy, all over pattern for the backing fabric and they will be barely noticeable.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 08:30:13 AM »
@BrendaP , did you cut the wadding 1/4’’ smaller than the front , to allow for the seam between blocks?

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 08:54:43 AM »
Oh and @Sheilago  .... not teaching you to suck eggs, but remember any stretchy fabrics will need some stern interfacing to keep them behaving with the other fabrics!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 09:26:35 AM »
@Sheilago  yes, 1/4 inch smaller on both sides, but the main thing is to get the new strip of binding closely butted to the previous one.  Once quilted you can't tell that there is a join there.

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 10:01:23 AM »
Thanks @Iminei and @BrendaP . Yes, I have used stretchy t-shirt fabric a little in a quilt years ago, but  certainly no harm in reminding me.

I’m going to have a tactful chat with DIL, before I start,  just to check why she wants 2 such big quilts, as I really don’t think the children will want to use quilts made from their baby clothes. I’d imagine that’s very un-cool. If it’s for her bed, then fair enough, but why two? I also don’t want to be doing this and this alone for months, so QAYG is perfect. I can do a little bit and then get on with something else.

Ann

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 13:19:45 PM »
I did a quilt as you go using this video to help me make it without sashing. It was easy to follow and I was successful. My first project was a 36" square quilt for the cat.

I hand sewed the backing together and it has held up with being used by the cat and laundered several times. I am making another one for him and one for me using the same method but a different block pattern. My main concern with mine will be sewing the rows together and I have a wide throat on my sewing machine. I know I will be putting up the extension on the sewing cabinet to hold the weight of the quilt. I find hand sewing the back pieces together easy but I do like hand sewing. The video shows how she machine stitches hers down. I will be using more glue this time as I have it on hand which I didn't when I made the first one.

Have fun and I look forward to how you get on with your quilts.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Puzzler

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 15:15:15 PM »
Which video did you use @Ann ?