The Sewing Place

Cutting instructions in a quilt pattern

StitchinTime

Cutting instructions in a quilt pattern
« on: October 15, 2023, 15:54:34 PM »
I have been known to “reverse engineer” a quilt design and then work out the yardage and cutting instructions. I often find it easier to understand my own calculations but realise that this is not fair to quilt designers and so I am trying to buy patterns, especially if it is something a bit out of the ordinary or not based on traditional quilt blocks.

However, I have just bought a quilt pattern and am rather disappointed to find limited instructions as to how to cut the background fabric. It just gives the sizes of the pieces and how many are needed.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I was expecting to get details of how many WOF strips needed and how to sub-cut them, but instead I am going to have to work this out.

Am I expecting too much or is this just lazy pattern writing? The pattern is described as “beginner friendly” so would it be acceptable to email the author for further details?

Deafoldbat

Re: Cutting instructions in a quilt pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 19:36:15 PM »
@StitchinTime I'm assuming you're cutting squares

Cut the 7.75in pieces first, call them 8" and estimate you'll get 5 across the wof, assuming 42" of usable width, so 5 strips.
Go to the 7.5in pieces, and again, probably you#'ll get 5 across a strip -2 strips
5.5in pieces call them 6" and you should get 7 across a strip, so 4 strips.

Of course if you're using FQs you have to adjust accordingly, half the width, so double the number of strips and add a bit for luck

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 19:44:19 PM »
@Deafoldbat Thank you for doing the calculations. I was going to work it out this evening but then thought that my quilt maths might not be at their best after a large glass of  red  :toast:

I’d be interest to know if others think if this information should have been included in the pattern.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 19:55:45 PM »
@StitchinTime If it's a 'beginner friendly' pattern I think there should be some indication of how much total yardage for each size at least, either for wof strips or how many FQs if it's meant to be scrappy. If they are all the same fabric you need getting on for 2metres of full width.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 20:16:56 PM »
@Deafoldbat The pattern does include the yardage required for the background fabric. The other fabrics are cut from FQs and are more straightforward.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 22:10:41 PM »
Patterns are often like that. They just tell you the size and number needed for each shape.
Lots of p&qers use pre cuts or fat quarters rather than yardage.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

datcat23

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 03:34:00 AM »
I think you will find, that you won't be given the step by step cutting instructions you expect, precisely because of varying ways that the person using the pattern, will have in terms of fabric shape.  Instructions on the best way to get the pieces from fat quarters, will be useless to someone who is using yardage, or pre-cuts, or scraps, or bits cut from old clothing.  Including all possible varients, will make the pattern bulky and unattractive to someone who just wants the dimensions and to "get on with it".  I think there is an assumption that quilters will figure out the most efficient way for themselves. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 11:20:23 AM »
@Lowena  @datcat23 Thanks for your comments on this.

I subscribe to a quilting magazine and their patterns tend to include instructions as to how many WOF are needed and how to subcut them. Perhaps this is why I was expecting to see similar instructions in this pattern.

Anyway, I've spent some of this morning setting up an Excel spreadsheet to do the calculations should I come across another pattern lacking these instructions  8)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 13:24:41 PM by StitchinTime »

Kad

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 11:55:39 AM »
@Lowena  @datcat23 Thanks for you comments on this.

I subscribe to a quilting magazine and their patterns tend to include instructions as to how many WOF are needed and how to subcut them. Perhaps this is why I was expecting to see similar instructions in this pattern.

Anyway, I've spent a some of this morning setting up an Excel spreadsheet to do the calculations should I come across another pattern lacking these instructions  8)

@StitchinTime

I use an app on my Android phone which will calculate yardage for borders, backing and binding, how many pieces of size ? from fabric of size *, how much fabric is needed for a number of pieces of specified size and even the size of pieces necessary for a 'square in square ' block. It's by Robert Kaufman and called "Quilting Calculators".
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

StitchinTime

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 12:09:49 PM »
@Kad Thank you for that suggestion. I'd looked to see if there were any online calculators, but not thought of looking for apps :facepalm:

I've installed the Apple version on my iPad and will take a look at it during my lunch hour.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 12:44:30 PM »
 :pics:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 13:40:11 PM »
I use that Robert Kaufman App as well. In fact i was going to suggest it but them i saw that @Kad had beat me to it.
 :)
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 18:47:11 PM »
I subscribe to a quilting magazine and their patterns tend to include instructions as to how many WOF are needed and how to subcut them.

@StitchinTime Magazines (especially the one I'm thinking of) assume you can't think for yourself and do tend to spoon feed you. They don't always provide instructions for the most economical way to cut shapes, and'quick' methods aren't alwaysthe best way to do things. A good book on rotary cutting is worth investigating if you intend to do a lot of patchwork.

This one is good ans may be available as an ebook https://judymartin.com/product/ultimate-rotary-cutting-reference/

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 19:12:43 PM »
Yes,I agree, most magazines treat readers as a " one off " whereas pattern producers leave a lot of the mechanics up to you
Triumph of hope over experience :D