The Sewing Place

Bernina 570 mistake help

Celia

Bernina 570 mistake help
« on: October 17, 2023, 11:37:38 AM »
Well I decided to try to sell my brand new, well used about twice Bernini 570 and what have they done but reduced the price by £500  and :rant:

What do I ask for it what does anyone think is is reasonable.

I understand I will loose a lot but I don’t want to silly or unreasonable.

Greybird

Re: Bernina 570 mistake help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 11:55:35 AM »
@Celia - who has reduced it? Do you have someone who wants it but is trying to knock £500 off the asking price? If so, tell them to go away. It belongs to you and you decide how much you are prepared to accept before you are willing to part with it.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 12:24:18 PM »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 12:40:06 PM »
@Greybird   Sorry I didn’t make it clear it is Bernina that have reduced it and I have just seen it is being extended so not just this month.

Thanks @Ouryve

Diane

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 13:48:12 PM »
@Celia If I was looking to buy it second hand I would only want to pay about £1200-£1500 and I would only pay this if I was absolutely sure of its history.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 15:03:29 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 10:25:09 AM »
Thank you @Diane it is nice to see what other people think.  If I am going to sell I would be happy with around £1400 - £1500 even though it’s s big drop for me, it is still enough to make me feel it is worth selling.

I still keep looking at it and thinking I should sell but part of it is that feeling of ‘ I don’t deserve it as I don’t sew enough these days’.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 10:48:16 AM »
@Celia I think if you're spending that amount of money on a second hand sewing machine, I personally wouldn't want to pay anywhere near the original asking price. I think £1400-£1500 is very reasonable.
I have exactly the same feeling as you, I don't use my 9450 all the time and that cost nearly £3k but it's a beautiful machine and I love it, but I do question myself and think maybe I shouldn't have bought it and should have made do with my cheaper machine. The way I look at it is I've worked so hard all my life so why shouldn't I treat myself, I don't drink or smoke, buy handbags or expensive shoes and these days I hardly leave the house. We do deserve nice things and it's my only expensive treat and like they say  "you can't take it with you".

I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »
@Celia I think you need a secondary reason to sell it. If you need the space or the money then selling it would be a good thing. Otherwise I don't see any reason why you shouldn't keep it. So what if you don't use it often? In principal it's no different to having a nice frock (made on your sewing macchine!) that you only wear occasionally or the nice crockery that only comes out at Christmas.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 11:22:29 AM »
@Diane since the pandemic our financial advisor has changed his way of thinking. 
He now says ‘there’s no point being the richest person in the graveyard, so spend some money and enjoy it while you can.' 

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2023, 11:29:24 AM »
I for one can say, having met and visited  @Celia , that she  looks after her home and possessions immaculately.

You will basically be getting a brand new machine.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2023, 11:36:53 AM »
@Ohsewsimple We had exactly the same advice, I'm not leaving any money to anyone, I do have two nephews but they squander money like there's no tomorrow so it won't be left to them, I will be leaving some to the local animal charities and we will spend the rest during our retirement years and at the same time being very careful with the money.

Diane

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 11:37:56 AM »
I for one can say, having met and visited  @Celia , that she  looks after her home and possessions immaculately.

You will basically be getting a brand new machine.
I absolutely agree with you but nobody will pay near the original price.

Celia

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 12:00:30 PM »
Thank you everyone
I do love the way you look at it @Greybird and @Ohsewsimple    I can definitely relate to the Christmas china etc. I don’t really need the money or the space it is more that someone else would probably put it to much better use.

I love my Overlocker and my Janome HD9 (straight stitch only) and for most of the sewing I do these are my absolute favourites.

I think you do deserve your machine @Diane  just look at the lovely things you made recently

You are of course right @Iminei it is in immaculate condition.

I absolutely hate trying to sell things so that definitely goes against selling… I don’t do Facebook or eBay

Still ::thinks::

Ouryve

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 12:21:14 PM »
I think you should hang onto her for a few more years, @Celia then sell her to me when I've worn Pfanny out a bit more!  :D

I bought Pfanny for about half her retail price, but she was already 4 years old (so older than Jane) and heavily used so even that felt risky.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Diane

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 12:45:18 PM »
I wouldn't sell it, as you say, you don't need the money so I'd just let it sit upstairs in your sewing room and it's there for when you need it.