The Sewing Place

Ideas please. Velour party pants?

WildAtlanticWay

Ideas please. Velour party pants?
« on: October 19, 2023, 09:29:16 AM »
I’ve got some deep burgundy velour fabric and I’m thinking of making myself something a bit Christmassy to wear.

I don’t ever wear dresses or skirts. It’s always tops with trousers. I bought a summery dress from Monsoon to get married in 10 years ago and haven’t worn it since. Not even sure if I still have it?

The velour is a bit stretchy and I’ve got about 2.5mtres, maybe 3m? I know I’ll have to be careful about the nap.

Currently thinking maybe very wide leg trousers that swish like a skirt when worn?

Help please !!!

Ouryve

Re: Ideas please. Velour party pants?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 10:09:49 AM »
These look just the job. The longer lengths are designed for fabric with drape and I can't see why a knit wouldn't work
https://helensclosetpatterns.com/product/winslow-culottes/

This is a slightly simpler pattern, without the dramatic pleats and with an elasticated waist.
https://www.namedclothing.com/products/ninni-elastic-waist-culottes
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 10:12:18 AM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 12:40:56 PM »
I think wide leg trousers would work well.  I wouldn’t faff around with zips but opt for some kind of elasticated waist.  Obviously the thickness of the fabric will have a bearing on this. You could have a flat front and elasticated back or even just elasticated sides which is a nice finish and less bulk.
The culottes idea would be nice if you wanted them lengthened. 

Hideout Hen

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 14:43:16 PM »
I agree with ohsewsimple. Part elastic. No one wants extra bulk around their waist if you can avoid it.
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

realale

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 17:12:11 PM »
I think wide legged trousers/culottes/palazzo would be good. Does the fabric have much drape? That will affect the final pattern you choose and waist finishing. Looking forward to see what you decide.
So many beers, so little time.

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 08:33:55 AM »
Can’t help much with pattern suggestions, but when I read ‘party pants’ I immediately thought of the frilly pants : white or pink with layers of lace up the back, which I wore under party dresses as a child! I’m probably showing my age here :laugh:.
Good luck with your velour trousers- they sound a good idea.

Ros

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 09:40:24 AM »
Think wide leg pull on trousers would look great. The weight and stretch of your fabric should help you decide on the pattern. The winslow culottes have a lot of fabric to pleat or gather at the waist for example, so a more fitted and then flared from the hip may be simpler. A quick google threw up the Style Arc Como looking wide-ish but not too bulky. I'm thinking about the practicality of sewing the velour over looks, as you'll know what you like, whether you EVER wear a tucked in top etc.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 11:30:40 AM »
@Ros I never wear tops tucked in so don’t much care what the top looks like.  Even when I was slim I always wore tops outside skirts and trousers.  Gosh, I must have a good memory to remember that far back.   :laughing:

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 13:48:16 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay how about this one?

https://www.stylearc.com/shop/pdf-sewing-patterns/sailor-sue-palazzo-pant-pdf/

I've made this one twice and they lie flat on the waist. I applied the elastic by just overlocking the edge of fabric to it and turning over, then anchoring at the 4 seam points. I think the pattern has you make a chanel and slot the elastic through.

I tapered the legs (1/2") from knee down to make a straighter look on theh 2nd pair rather than flared. I think the finished bottom width was about 20-21" which I find wide enough for me.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Clareew

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 20:14:15 PM »
The Pattern Emporium Walk Bodly pants would be beautiful in a stretch velvet.  The fly front is faux an can be ommited.

https://patternemporium.com/collections/ladies-pants/products/walk-boldly-wide-leg-pants-sewing-pattern

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 13:58:18 PM »
Thank you everyone for all your great ideas.

I’ve decided to purchase the Style Arc Palazzo pants PDF pattern because I already had a couple of shirt patterns I wanted to buy and if you buy two patterns from them, you get a free monthly bonus pattern and I chose the Sonny knit pant.

I also used 3 coupon codes and got the balance reduced considerably so if you’re buying from style arc, definitely try any codes you find as they don’t limit you to one choice. I’ll finish off my current Barry pants and make a start on the palazzo ones soon and I’ll post pics when I’m done. I’ve made several pairs of the Barry pants with variations on the pockets and the front apron section.

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 14:35:00 PM »
Hope you'll like the Palazzo pant @WildAtlanticWay!

I meant to add that these are an older SA pattern, mine was a paper one sent from Australia!, and maybe the sizing is slightly smaller than current ones, they are meant to fit close in the body. Just check the actual pattern piece measurements. I'm long in the crotch and I extended the pant top by and inch or so. You can easily cut it off if you don't need the extra!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2023, 15:32:02 PM »
@Helen M

Thanks for the tip. 👍

I’ve used several pants patterns from style arc so I’ll check them against their other patterns and adjust them if it looks like they need it.