The Sewing Place

Brother NS80E

Sara-S

Brother NS80E
« on: October 19, 2023, 21:43:13 PM »
This is the machine that should arrive tomorrow.  It is a portable, intended to replace the other small Brother machine I have now.  The other one still works, but I wanted some of the higher-end features; most notably a threader that is easier to use.

Linky

More after it arrives.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Cazlyn

Re: Brother NS80E
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 07:07:41 AM »
Enjoy 😊
Crafting is my happy place

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 10:10:34 AM »
I love a good threader @Sara-S nearly the best part of a machine.  Enjoy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 19:36:23 PM »
My new portable is here!  I have spent the last hour or so putting it through its paces.  I am loving it.

This one has a bigger throat than my other machine and a much better threader. It’s a breeze to use. It also has a more reliable bobbin winder. (I have found that with the other portable (and with my inexpensive embroidery machine) the winders sometimes let the thread wind too loosely.

My machines always get names.  This one will be known as Sadie.
Here is a pic;
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 19:38:45 PM »
Envy you the threader as they are very good.  My expensive Husqvarna threader is pretty basic. 

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 19:46:23 PM »

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 19:52:01 PM »
I’d love a threader that actually makes the job less fiddly that the random stabbing that I currently end up doing.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 19:53:34 PM »
 :laughing: :laughing: Yes @Sara-S.  the machine is a combined sewing/embroidery machine and pricey but Husqvarna just haven’t sorted this out yet…..as far as I know!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 12:21:12 PM »
Enjoy your lovely new machine @Sara-S   :loveit:

Those Brother needle threaders on the innov-is range are the best! Easy to fix if they get pushed out of alignment too, you just need a magnifying glass and tweezers. Is it lighter than your Janome HD model as I thought that would have been reasonably portable, but maybe not?

I think your machine is probably the US equivalent of the EU model badged the A80. I guess they have to change the model numbers due to running at different voltages. I still have my older Brother machine (FSW100) and take it to my sewing class as it’s lightweight to carry but very reliable and sews through most things quite happily. 

Looking forward to seeing pics of your projects that you sew with it. ☺️

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 13:17:55 PM »
Yes, it is noticeably lighter than the Janome. I only take that one with me if I am working on a leather project in class.

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 22:12:49 PM »
I made a little storage sac for the cord & the foot pedal. I also embroidered her name on the sac as well as the dust cover. In addition, I sewed a casing around the bottom edge of the dust cover & ran a draw cord through it. That keeps it secure when putting it into the travel cart

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 13:55:21 PM »
Now that I’ve had it for a bit & used it in classes, I am still in love with it. My classmate s are duly impressed as well. In a couple of cases, I explained some of the features, because other people (newer to quilting & sewing) are still learning about machines & their features.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 14:16:00 PM »
@Sara-S I have a Brother and I love the needle threader.  The only problem I have with it is if I am using very fine needles, then the threader hook can miss the eye, but I don't stitch very fine fabrics much so not a big deal.  I've had to straighten the hook once or twice but, with a good light, a magnifier and some tweezers it's easily fixed.

The variable speed button on the left of the control panel is really useful if you are doing buttonholes.  For these I unplug the foot control and let the machine do its thing, but at a reduced speed so, if it snarls up for whatever reason, you can hit the stop button before it's had a chance to make a horrible mess.  Doesn't happen often, fortunately, but on mine the machine gets it into its head to play up occasionally and needs to be spoken to sternly!

Also, after a few years of cursing the lack of facility, I found out purely by accident that when you are in the default straight stitch mode, it's possible to move the needle rightwards in small increments, presumably in your case using one or other of the +/- buttons top right.

My only warning about these machines is that you need to be really careful not to let bobbin thread get tangled around the bobbin winder spindle, else the winder may stop working and the machine has to be almost taken apart to get at the detritus, which is a pain. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2023, 16:58:40 PM »
@HenriettaMaria you can’t use the needle threader for fine needles because you’ll damage it.  The wire is too thick for the eye of the needle.  :)

Ouryve

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2023, 17:21:34 PM »
@HenriettaMaria you can’t use the needle threader for fine needles because you’ll damage it.  The wire is too thick for the eye of the needle.  :)

Which is ironic because it's the fine needles we. Most. Need the help with!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"