The Sewing Place

Open end zip replacement

Lachica

Open end zip replacement
« on: October 20, 2023, 16:34:06 PM »
DD has bought a maternity parka from Vinted. They're £200 new but she got it for £30 because one of the (many) zip ends has come off.  I need to get the same make of zip because there's an extra centre piece that zips onto the 2 outsides to allow for 9 month bump, then this is flipped upside down for baby wearing later, or it can be worn without the insert. The zip puller is round with YBS on it. Please can someone point me at a supplier? @Sandra ? Jaycotts and Zipperstation don't have any that look like this.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lachica

Re: Open end zip replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 16:35:00 PM »
Oops! Looks like this:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 17:02:06 PM »
I don't know of a supplier of that brand of zip...sorry.

Is there any chance that a YKK brand (or whatever else) might match up and run with that?

Sandra.
xxx

Oh! Just thought. Ribbonmoon offer a large range of slightly different, strange colour, lesser known brands of zips. Might be worth having a look on there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 17:08:46 PM by Sandra »

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 17:12:15 PM »
Ooh, that was quick, thanks @Sandra . I've tried 3 of our coats with it & they all mesh correctly so I'll go with whatever I can get that's the correct length. It's 84 cm but will have to go with 82 as 87 will be way too long. Or should I get the longer one & cut off some teeth? M thinking an inch gap at the neck could be draughty. Jaycotts only list a number 8, but I need 5mm, which would be a number 5 I think?
Mary

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 17:29:37 PM »
@Lachica
Jaycotts do the number 5. You'll need their medium weight plastic teeth.

I think I'd get the longer one and pull some teeth out.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 17:37:38 PM »
Thanks @Sandra will do.
Mary

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 17:08:04 PM »
You can always shorten a zip but you can't make it longer.

For open end zips position the open end where it should be and then the top end will be too long.  Just cut the excess off and possibly a couple of teeth too, depending on how the top closure is done and then make a stop by sewing over and over between the remaining pair of top teeth.  I seal that with a dab of clear nail varnish.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 17:50:39 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 17:45:30 PM »
Thanks @BrendaP . I think I'll need to remove 3 teeth then tuck the top of the tape into the seam. I'm not unpicking until the zip arrives but since I'm only replacing one half it should be a quick fix. It would be a bonus if the colour is correct; how many shades of khaki can there be?
Mary