The Sewing Place

The Sewing Workshop

sewmuchmore

The Sewing Workshop
« on: October 20, 2023, 17:52:08 PM »
Why, when you finally decide to buy a very expensive pattern that you have been looking at for ages and the spend all afternoon making it do you decide you don't like it.
I bought the Bristol dress  pattern
The yoke is far too low on me and it feels like i am loosing my vest straps all the time and keep wanting to hitch the dress up. Plus it is too long and feels frumpy. Fabric was a stable knit from Fabworks, only £4 a metre so nothing lost there.
I will try again and modify the yoke/sleeves, the pattern was way too expensive to give up on it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Kad

Re: The Sewing Workshop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 18:03:20 PM »
@sewmuchmore
I feel your pain  :hug: I have to be very careful not to buy patterns that either don't suit my current life, (and the likelihood of ever doing so again is vanishingly small) or suit my current body shape. The latter is less of a problem as DS is almost my younger double. I still lust after them but try so hard not to succumb to their deliciousness  :laughing:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 18:19:35 PM »
I do that regularly @sewmuchmore .  Get all hyped up about something, spend ages deciding, even get the fabric and then take another look at the pattern and talk myself out.  Last one I got is for a Burda casual jacket.  I've already decided I don't want the squared off front, I want it rounded at the  bottom. I've got the fabric so whether it actually gets cut, no idea.  I hate cutting new patterns out as well.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 19:50:19 PM »
Oh dear.  Did you make a toile @sewmuchmore ?  I find that’s a useful way of looking at the style and design lines.  When I was teaching my class egged me on to make a blouse I really liked.  I was convinced it wouldn’t work for me.  So I agreed to make a toile.  Put it on in class so they could see…..and they laughed! :laughing:  It never did get made.   

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 19:52:50 PM »
That shoulder line is very Star Trek TNG/Voyager/DS9 - could you sell it onto a Trekke ;-)

I've made so many things in my time that haven't worked, either because the pattern just isn't me or I bought fabric that turned out to make me look ill (that was before I had my colours done!) or it turned out to be too high-maintenance for other than 'best', and then your shape changes and it doesn't fit....

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 20:38:22 PM »
Yes interesting sci-fi lines @sewmuchmore . Shame it didn't work. I've only made the Sewing Workshop Liberty shirt and that's a nice pattern..
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 16:40:44 PM »
@Ohsewsimple to toile or not to toile that is the question. Answer, never unless i am making for others. I don't wear anything fitted so no need for many alterations to patterns other than my usual lower bust dart and increase at waist (or were waist should be). The fabric was only £4 so i could consider this a toile.
Any way decided that this type of yoke is just not me. I will at some stage change the pattern to a boring round neck and "proper" sleeves.
I have managed to re-use the fabric, plus a 1/2 metre piece left over, and today have made the SA Flick top, again.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 17:25:57 PM »
Oh if only I had just a couple of pattern alterations to make instead of a catalogue of them.  :(. That’s why on bought patterns a toile is essential for me.  And the reason I don’t use many bought patterns.  They’re just a PITA.
You’re right that £4 was worth a go.  And you’ve learnt something so not wasted.