The Sewing Place

Hi everyone

Retrorokit

Hi everyone
« on: October 21, 2023, 19:37:33 PM »
Hello everyone

Another newbie Sarah here currently on a quilting adventure!

Actually I am interested in all sorts of arts & crafts and have been deluging family and friends with many misshapen accessories over the fifty plus years i’ve existed on this beautiful if troubled planet.

I am first and foremost a painter, however I love mixed media and find the interactions between fabric, paint and thread deeply satisfying. It is so exciting for example to paint onto plastic then watch how the piece warps and deforms under a cool iron into totally unexpected shapes. These can then be free machine embroidered into a layered piece of work. Any themes within the machined plastic can be extended out with fabric and thread to create something impressionistic that appeals to both eye and finger!

I have been very much influenced by the books Layer, Paint and Stitch by Wendy Dolan and Creative Embroidery by Jan Beany. Picked up at a charity shop one rainy day these two books have been a constant source of inspiration. However I am certainly not as organised as these ladies, who fill sketch books up with ideas and notes for a project before starting on their finished pieces.

Alas I am a bit more haphazard often making  pieces in my head first. This can mean things often go wrong resulting in the piece being overworked where I’ve tried to problem solve mid stitch!😳 Now though I have rediscovered quilting which I flirted with a few years ago. So I apologise now if I bother you masters with annoying simple questions.

I am happy to chat about anything as my loves and interests go way beyond arts & crafts. I am pretty keen on the sciences to so if anyone needs to know which planet is in the sky on any evening or the chemical composition of polyester ask away😄!

Sarah

realale

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 19:56:04 PM »
Welcome. I too love experimenting and did a fabulous textile art course a few years ago. I went to the Wendy Dolan exhibition at Upton House a few weeks ago. I look forward to getting to know you.
So many beers, so little time.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 20:03:11 PM »
Welcome from me too @Retrorokit  :)

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 20:25:13 PM »
Welcome Sarah. I also went to the Wendy Dolan exhibition at Upton House. Fantastic work. I bought her book but haven't played with techniques yet.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 22:02:22 PM »
Hi, @Retrorokit I would love to see some of your creations  :pics:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 22:23:06 PM »
Hi @Retrorokit  welcome from another who dabbles with all sorts of mixed media, needle crafts and paints etc.

I have just enrolled on this course with Shelley Rhodes.  It's not the first FATT course I've done, the one with Cas Holmes was fantastic.  I learned so much about mixing fabric, paper, stitch and paint.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charley

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 22:41:05 PM »
Hello Sarah, a warm welcome from me too. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 22:41:53 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Retrorokit

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 23:41:15 PM »
Welcome. I too love experimenting and did a fabulous textile art course a few years ago. I went to the Wendy Dolan exhibition at Upton House a few weeks ago. I look forward to getting to know you.
Thank you for telling me you went to the Wendy Dolan exhibition. In my excitement I looked the exhibition up. Alas I live in West Sussex and as I don’t drive asking my long suffering partner to drive me all the way up to Warwickshire would have used up my favours for the year!!! However the Sussex Crafting Guild is having an exhibition in Bexhill which is a closer prospect. So thanks to you I can go and check out Wendy’s newest creations and hassle her for tips!!!

I sound like a right fan girl don’t I? Don’t worry I just get over enthusiastic about people being creative. In these trying days I think an adage such as ‘make art not war’ is appropriate!!

Retrorokit

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 23:47:00 PM »
Hi @Retrorokit  welcome from another who dabbles with all sorts of mixed media, needle crafts and paints etc.

I have just enrolled on this course with Shelley Rhodes.  It's not the first FATT course I've done, the one with Cas Holmes was fantastic.  I learned so much about mixing fabric, paper, stitch and paint.
Hi Brenda
I just looked up the Shelly Rhodes course you recommended. It looks good thanks for the info.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 06:44:39 AM »
Welcome, @Retrorokit. I looked up the Wendy Dolan book on Amazon.  :embarrassed: Turns out, I own it along with one of Jan Beaney’s books - The Art of the Needle. I do have aspirations but they are well beyond my capabilities right now. Something to explore when I retire though. Looking forward to seeing your creations and reading about your exploits.

Cazlyn

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 07:54:15 AM »
Hello and welcome xx
Crafting is my happy place

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 08:04:24 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too @Retrorokit
Still learning

Hideout Hen

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2023, 09:02:59 AM »
Hi from a fellow newbie on the forum. :bye: no
I also have many crafty hobbies. I look forward to seeing what you do.
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2023, 09:55:43 AM »
In these trying days I think an adage such as ‘make art not war’ is appropriate!!

Great quote @Retrorokit ! You could add that to your profile as your signature.

Welcome to TSP. We love enthusiasts  :dance:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 09:58:04 AM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!