The Sewing Place

Extension table advice

Retrorokit

Extension table advice
« on: October 25, 2023, 18:56:31 PM »
Hi All quilters

Newbie Sarah here who has just rediscovered the joys of quilting and am hoping to raid all your knowledge baskets!!😃

I use a Janome 4400 sewing machine which is basic but really reliable. In fact I like that it doesn’t have any computerised bells and whistles as it forces me to be inventive with what I can do with it. I say this as I would rather people didn’t suggest other machines in answer to my following question. No offence intended with that comment I just don’t want to waste peoples time, as I know how precious time is when you have a project on the go!😉.

I need an extension table to give me a little extra working area. I currently surround my Janome with books covered by a slip mat, which has been ok for the sample pieces I’ve made but I am now into the king size quilt area and see that my bodge job book extension is not going to cut it!! I have looked online at the janome extension tables and the cheapest which fits my machine is around £90. As finances are tight I’d rather not spend that much if I can possibly help it. So my question is does anyone know of any other brand of extension table that will fit my Janome 4400 but won’t require me to remortgage my house?!!😳

I am looking for a folding legs table top version as opposed to a dedicated table to slot my machine into. Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Sarah🚀

Greybird

Re: Extension table advice
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 23:42:14 PM »
Am I remembering correctly? Didn't somebody's husband make an extension table out of wood?

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 00:29:02 AM »
Am I remembering correctly? Didn't somebody's husband make an extension table out of wood?

Yes! Can't remember who, though

Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 08:15:44 AM »
I was going to suggest that you need a competant DIY handyman/woman.

It's basically a smooth/shiny rectangle with a piece cut out to slot around the machine and fold in legs to make it the same hight as the bed of the machine.  Making it yourself will allow you to make it as big as the available space.

The extensions made for a specific machine will have some meansof clipping it to the body of the machine.  If your machine has a metal base magnets should work.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 08:37:20 AM »

Yes! Can't remember who, though

Was it @Acorn ?

Sandra.
xxx

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 08:51:45 AM »
I also remember seeing someone making extension table from an offcut of solid insulation, like Kingspan. I’m not sure if it was on TSP…

While googling to see if I could find it, I found this made from a chopping board.There are various ideas online if you search for ‘sewing table extension diy’. If it’s a good enough fit, you shouldn’t need anything to attach it to the machine. I have a Janome extension table, but it just slides in place with o clips or magnets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sewing/comments/7otbjm/my_husband_made_a_custom_extension_table_for_my/?utm_source=ifttt&rdt=39955
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 09:02:27 AM by Sheilago »

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 11:41:05 AM »
@Sandra It was indeed!

Mr Acorn made mine from a piece of kitchen worktop (curved edge to the front), with sections of curtain pole as the legs.  I lined the space with felt to protect the machine.  It slopes very gently, because the front of the machine bed is lower than the back.

What it isn't, is lightweight and foldable!!

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Retrorokit

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 11:42:02 AM »
Many thanks all.

It had not occurred to me to try to make my own!! Doh!! It’s a great idea and I have just watched a step by step diy guide by a brilliant lady on YouTube who gave some excellent tips from her experience. Her table, built for a basic Janome like mine, ended up being a fantastic piece of work especially as she had never used a jigsaw before!😳 Luckily i love power tools and know my way round a jigsaw soooooo……? I’ll let you know how I got on and whether I still have all my fingers intact!😁
Thanks again Sarah.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 15:32:37 PM »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Retrorokit

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 18:12:22 PM »
If you need adjustable legs, https://coulingsewingmachines.co.uk/spares-accessories/universal-generic/extension-tables/
Many thanks Bill.

I knew Couling Sewing Machines made the extension tables for my specific machine with a hefty price tag attached, but I didn’t realise they also sold just the legs. That’s a very useful bit of info, and not a bad price either.

Getting homemade legs to all be the same height so you have a wobble free surface can be the fly in the ointment of any diy project. So a ready made set of adjustables is the perfect solution. Thanks again for your advice.

Sarah

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 18:37:32 PM »
My machine came with an extension table which I've never used. What situations are they good for?

realale

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 19:38:22 PM »
I've got an extension table on my 6600 and love it. It stops things dragging and gives a bigger work area. My Pfaff has one of those acrylic thingummies as it's in a Horn cabinet so I'm used to a big space. My embroidery machine also has an extension table to support the bigger hoops. Only my overlocker and my 350e don't have extension tables. My extension tables came with the machines apart from the Pfaff Horn cut out so I'm not sure on prices.
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 23:28:31 PM »
I was thrilled to discover that I could get an extension table for my overlocker as sweatshirty things get so heavy and saggy once they're almost complete.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »
I'm not sure I'd have room for all that on the table in the sewing room.

Bill

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 09:48:09 AM »
I've had extension table on most of my machines and for a while I thought they were brill, but, I do have to ask myself if they really did help in any way.
Most things I make, bags, pouches, wallets etc all fit perfectly well on the machines standard bed. But then again, so have my shirts and jeans and shorts etc. Fabric just naturally drapes over the sides of the machine.
I suppose it's up to each person individually whether they benefit from the extension or not.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things