The Sewing Place

Extension table advice

Sheilago

Re: Extension table advice
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 09:58:21 AM »
I only use my extension table when actually quilting a quilt. I don’t use it for piecing or for any other sewing. It just helps to give you a bigger flat area, which is helpful when doing free motion quilting.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 17:02:08 PM »
I've never used or even considered an extension table.  Now you've got me wondering...

justpottering

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2023, 17:27:58 PM »
My machine came with an extension table, I’ve had a play with it but never actually used it when sewing anything, I only sew clothes and soft furnishings though.

My machine was mostly marketed as a quilting machine I chose it for the longer arm space which I did want, it’s very handy having more space to the right of the needle, for me anyway :)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

coffeeandcake

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2023, 19:28:06 PM »
I would find it quite strange to sew without an extension table. My Pfaff is set into a Horn cabinet, which gives me plenty of room to lay my fabrics and my Bernina came with a good sized extension table. I also find the one on my Bernina overlocker invaluable. The only time I take them off for sewing is if I need to use the free-arm. I guess it's personal preference and what we get used to.

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2023, 22:45:38 PM »
It certainly is what you get used to. I am speaking as a non-quilter here, but I do make curtains now and then. I use my machine on the end of an oval dining table, simply because the window is behind me and it is more important to me to have the light. This means that there is only a small, curved space to the left of the machine. I have a chair next to it to take the bulk and weight if necessary. I have sewn like this for years without any difficulty and wouldn't use an extension table even if I could.

Ouryve

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2023, 22:54:33 PM »
I find the extension table most useful.with fabrics thst are particularly stretchy, drapey and/or heavy. Basically anything that will try to make a bid for freedom despite a million pins.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2023, 10:09:12 AM »
I find the extension tables really good for stretch fabric it supports it and stops it pulling away, sometimes without one I feel I need an extra hand….

Elnnina

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2023, 10:38:32 AM »
When I bought my Horn cabinet I also made a template of my then overlocker and asked for a plexi to be cut for that too and it was sheer bliss not having the fabric drag off the small area on the left of the overlocker.  Now I have two different overlockers, and I still use these on the Horn cabinet so that they are flat, and Horn actually supplied me with a small piece of plexi that I pop in between the overlocker and the end of the tabletop opening and thus again I have a lovely big flat work space which the fabric just slides over - my cabinet top opens towards the back - again chosen for what I needed.  I do think that if I went back to using a sewing machine or an overlocker on an ordinary table now I would not like this very much - I much prefer being able to work coming down/looking down to what I am sewing.