The Sewing Place

Getting on my own nerves!

KayK

Getting on my own nerves!
« on: October 30, 2023, 16:50:30 PM »
I wish I could settle.  I am getting on my own nerves again.  I sold my Bernina 540 as I really didn't like the 9mm feed dogs and it's one or two odd habits.  I replaced it with a mechanical Bernina 1008, which performs beautifully.  However, little Miss Picky here is missing some things the old one did!  I am seriously missing the needle up/down feature, instead having to hand wheel to get needle in right place, I can't adjust the foot pressure, which has caused a bit of sticking and skidding of fabric, and I am missing the knee lift (can't be retro-fitted on this model).

I am a regular PIA and I wish I could get something I really like!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Puzzler

Re: Getting on my own nerves!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 18:58:02 PM »
Wouldn’t it be nice if we could order a custom-made machine with all the features we want and eliminating the things we don’t need? I suppose that could work for anything, even spouses.  :rolleyes:

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 19:25:47 PM »
That would be awesome, the trouble is I'd probably need an entire room to fit it in I'd specify so many functions plus it'd have to be metal bodied and mechanical not computer controlled so it'd be pretty heavy too  :scream:, the muscle I'd need to move it would be extremely useful too  :laughing:

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could order a custom-made machine with all the features we want and eliminating the things we don’t need? I suppose that could work for anything, even spouses.  :rolleyes:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 22:45:34 PM »
@Surest1tch ah but the problem is that many of the features are only available/possible because of computer chips! :)
I think it would be very difficult to specify what you’d want.  Sometimes you don’t know that you need a certain function till you’ve tried it.  Often you then find you can’t live without it.   :)

jintie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 07:39:40 AM »
Kayk, try tapping on the foot pedal when the machine has stopped. This works as an up down function on some machines (like my Bernina 1015, which is almost the same machine ).
Rottweiler with scissors

Celia

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 09:26:48 AM »
@KayK   I know exactly what you mean.  I still haven’t done anything about my Bernina 570, part of the reason is I will decide I want another machine one at some point and it will end up costing me dearly.

I think we often think alike  :laughing:

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 20:50:19 PM »
Ahaaah, this is why I end up with machines that have so many features because I will not compromise on certain things like button holes and a few other features. 
However, I object to the way that some brands bundle the features on their cars  for example one middle I was interested in.
 The model was available in 3 versions.  I wanted most features in the middle band but was not interested in 5 of the pointless features, but did want 2 features only available on the TOL version.  I was not interested in any of the other unnecessary features of that model and  was not willing to pay the extra (ridiculous amount)  for the TOL Model.  Rear Parking sensors are not a TOL feature in my opinion and I object to the manipulative bundling of features to get people to buy more than what they need in order to get practically useful features over unnecessary 'luxury' features.  It felt like being forced. 
Fortunately for me I'm not particularly brand loyal  so the result was I did not buy any of the models and went elsewhere.  I'll bet that none of my feedback ever reached the people who make some of these nonsensical decisions.

KayK

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 13:47:27 PM »
Well, after all the faffing around with the house move (which is now really happening on the 29th November!) I did treat myself to a new (secondhand) machine.  It was one I had always hankered after, but couldn't afford it - It is a Bernina 720, for sale at a good price with warranty from Frank Nutt.  It did quite a while to get here, as when I was looking at it, I noticed that the feet were not commensurate with that machine - it is a 5.5mm machine and the ones photographed were the 9mm dual feed ones! (I bet they had to dip into their profits to supply me a complete new set of 5.5mm feet!)

It arrived yesterday (DH in a grump as I've got another machine - hey ho!  It's my flipping money!) and so far is working well.  I have to say some of its working gear is better quality than that of my 540 - not so much plastic.  I did buy myself a Horn Elements sewing table a couple of years ago as it wasn't too expensive, but have been very disappointed with it, as when you lower the machine table, none of the machines fit properly!  I have to prop them up on books and cardboard to get them level!  This machine needs 2" of propping up - ridiculous!  I did have a 1970's Horn cabinet with an adjustable lift which fitted practically everything!

I am now going to play this afternoon - I know how most of it works, just want to read through the manual for the bits that I don't know!  The thread cutter works a lot better than my old one - I didn't use it after a while.  The needle threader is pretty accurate and easier to use.  Orf I go! wish me luck!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 15:10:33 PM »
Oh have fun KayK your new machine sounds as though you will have plenty to keep you occupied for the next few weeks before the move and then after.  Now why not treat yourself to another Horn cabinet and get rid of the table, and if you get a new cabinet - well with a move to a new house, why not treat yourself as I am sure you will have a lovely sewing room or two to play with, and then get the various plexi's cut for each of your machines, I don't think you will regret it.  I much prefer sewing in the 'flatbed' mode I even use this position with my overlocker and originally had a plexi cut to fit the overlocker at the time - now no longer, but I asked Horn and they supplied me with a piece of a plexi that fits between the edge of the cut out on the cabinet top and the overlocker - makes life so much easier sewing this way without drag.  Whilst Horn do not keep templates of all the various overlockers I made one myself by sitting the overlocker on the kitchen table and then stacking small paperback books up close and all around the overlocker until they reached the top where the feed dogs are, and then once this was all level I put some cardboard folders over the top for evenness and then some brown paper and drew around all the overlocker parts and they cut a plexi from this and it worked beautifully.

Also a long time ago now Horn were offering the opportunity to have a whole plexi at a sensible price and then this can be used as a light table, all you need is to have the platform at the lower level and stand a lamp or a small light on this.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 13:52:45 PM »
Wouldn’t it be great if we could itemize just the features we want on sewing machines, cars, husbands, etc? 

I must admit that the features on my electronic machines have spoiled me.  I love my heavy-duty Janome (that I use for leather) but I miss the electronics, when I use it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Mamashep

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 14:22:24 PM »
I know exactly what you mean. I had a Pfaff 1475CD back in the day, which was a brilliant machine, but getting on a bit. So, I sold it to upgrade, and adealer put me off newer Pfaffs telling me they were rubbish, and that I would be better with Janome. Janome machines were OK, but despite going through 3 or 4, I did not love any of them. I always regretted getting rid of my old Pfaff. I went into local dealers during Covid to enquire about the newer Pfaffs, and was told they were good machines, maybe not quite as good as the 1475CD, but still very good machines. I later found out the dealer I had originally asked did not sell Pfaff machines at that time. Unfortunately new Pfaff machines were order only and taking months, but he had a second hand QE4 at a bargain price, so I thought it would be a good way to try a newer Pfaff. I realised it was the Pfaff IDT that no other machine could match up to - I found the Janome walking foot system bulky and clunky. It just felt right, and had all the features I had missed. I went in at a later date to look at a newer machine, and came out with another second hand one, a Performance 5 with a full set of feet and attachments. i then for nostalgia's sake ended up with a 7550 and a 1475CD, and still like the older ones. After many years chopping and changing machines, and overlockers etc, I have finally got a selection of machines that I love.  I had at one point downgraded from 8 machines, but it seems 8 is the magic number, as I am now back to 8. I son;t need them all, but I do love them all.

KayK

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 15:22:58 PM »
Oh @Mamashep - You have made me feel soooo much better! I have four machines and DH is constantly nagging saying I have too many!  I am hoping that this selection will be the last for a long time!  I have:
1. An oldish Juki TL98P - a heavy duty straight stitch only, which works well apart from the fact it goes from zero to warp speed in a twinkling, with nothing in between.  I have been told a new foot pedal would solve it, but these are £100+, so no!
2. A 45 year old Bernina 801, with seven different stitches!  Paid peanuts for it and sews like a dream, my little machine for classes etc - its a 3/4 size. Don't think i'll ever sell it!
3. A Bernina 1008 - one of the last mechanical Berninas - works well, but has not a single bell or whistle.  Can be irritating at times! - might sell this one!
4.  The new (secondhand one) So far, so good

As has been said, I don't really need them all, but they all have their uses (sort of!)

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 16:27:25 PM »
Only 4 machines?  You need at least 2 or 3 more!  :sew: :sew:
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2023, 16:52:49 PM »
@Mamashep I’ve still got my old 7550.  I give it a run every so often.  Unfortunately it no longer does buttonholes but still purrs nicely and is far quieter than either of my newer  Husqvarnas.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2023, 10:03:40 AM »
While making corsets I found myself using my old Bernina Activa again as I found my newer Pfaff Ambition not delicate enough for the delicate bits.  But the Bernina struggled with the layers so I was back on the Pfaff for thundering through them and for when the boning was in due to it's bigger harp space. I currently have 6 machines in a tiny little bedroom (one is for GS1 to take home with him when his mum thinks he is capable enough to sew on his own) that barely has room for the one I have permanently set up!
If I could get just one machine for all I would jump at the chance but there really is no chance of that so multiples are the only way to go.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."