The Sewing Place

Wardrobe Maintenance

SewRuthieSews

Wardrobe Maintenance
« on: October 30, 2023, 16:52:14 PM »
I'm musing aloud here, feel free to chip in if the topic interests you, otherwise it'll just be a place for my thoughts to get in order.

So its October and the heating is now on for part of the day and it would be sensible to switch the wardrobe round a bit. Get the long sleeves/winter clothes boxes down from the top of wardrobe and replace them with the summer clothing. And of course have some fun sewing some new things.

I am very good at utilising the available space, but I think its time to review some of the things I don't wear and look to pass them on to local schemes or charity shops.
Generally I have things in categories, but over the summer I tried to do variations of the hanger trick and moved things about which mixed the sections up.

I popped up to the local shops earlier and donated some books to the telephone box mini library. A quick look in the local charity shops didn't induce me to buy anything, but I did feel a list of things starting to form in my mind.

It would be good to have some things in my wardrobe (maybe I already do?) to meet certain situations.

- black coat, probably for funerals, but also other smart occasions, where my current anorak style coats are not quite right. Maybe a matching brimmed hat made from the scraps.

- black dress, as above. I think I have several but nothing that quite fits right.

- something pretty for a party/ dinner / event, maybe all of dress and separates with both skirt and trousers options.

- well fitting joggers with pockets, to replace the rather tired RTW ones.

- woven shirts with buttoned patch pockets, I love the one I made, but feel the need for some more of them.

- well fitting hiking trousers with lots of zipped pockets.

Celia

Re: Wardrobe Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 09:40:19 AM »
Sounds like a good scheme to me @SewRuthieSews  I just wish I could make one for me, I am rather fed up with wearing the same cloths but don’t feel inspired enough to decide to either buy or make different things.

I just don’t go to anything that makes me feel like dressing up,  recently I am feeling more settled in my life but still find cloths difficult

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 09:54:04 AM »
@Celia I know I could dress up more for things if I wanted to, and have some friends who do.

I do things like brunch, coffee, lunch with friends, occasional meals out, some music events, choir. One friend comes to choir every week in a nice dress with jewellery, others just roll up in jeans.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 09:54:59 AM »
I too need some inspiration this season! Think its because I wore lighter 'winter' stuff in summer with the cool weather we had.

I've always liked to have a black coat as it covers a multitude of sins and seems to pull together most outfits. I don't go for a black dress for funerals (seem to be much more non black these days) and usually go for trousers and blouse with a long cardi or a sweater. I like to update my black shoes every now and then too,  and have a smaller bag than I usually carry.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 10:13:56 AM »
When I saw 'wardrobe maintenance' I just thought of oil on the door hinges  :)
It's very rare that I open the wardrobe door, only when I want a tidy jacket or trousers which is almost never.  My everyday clothes, farming and tidy(ish) are in drawers being mainly jersey tops, sweatshirts, sweaters and jeans.  I could probably fit what I wear in a carrier bag!
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »
I made the mistake a few years ago of putting garment covers on my coats and jackets and some dresses..  They became out of sight and out of mind.  I literally forgot I had them until a few weeks ago when I went looking for something for a funeral (I think).  I'm now dying to wear the Orvis winter 'sheepskin coat' I had forgotten about plus the nice red zip front coat I bought from a designer outlet shop when I was still working so at least 17 years ago.

Because the wardrobes were full I was storing other stuff and a couple of Izzwotnots and coats on a rail under the stairs.

I think mild winters, being retired and not having to go out if it was cold was part of the reason and then Covid reared its head.

I had a clear out of handbags last week (and put them back).  I got a bee in my bonnet to buy another one and found I had many never used after one year, when I'd bought another in summer and then again in winter.

I did have a black coat once, in fact thinking about it, it would have not looked out of place now, but must have gone to the charity shop when I put on weight.

I think clothes depend on your priorities.  I had no children so it tended to me, me and maybe DH :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 13:25:28 PM »
I've recovered from my lurgy and written a post on my blog about my travel capsule so I can get on with packing away the shorts and t shirts and see what I actually have to wear this winter.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 17:46:11 PM »
I have spent multiple hours sorting through tops and trousers and trying stuff on, something clicked in my head and I've finally been able to let go of some RTW things I'd been hanging onto but not actually wearing.
Definitely quite freeing.
Only got coats, fleeces, cardigan, jackets and dresses to go!

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 17:59:30 PM »
It's really hard to let go of things isn't it. I always having this feeling that I may need it when it's too late! I also think if you have changeable lifestyle you are more likely to hold on to things you really should let go.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 18:27:33 PM »
Some of the stuff I didn't even know I had, so I wouldn't have reached for it. Sorting cardigan type things now, which includes a LOT of homemade ones, how many of each colour do I need???

Hideout Hen

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 18:53:55 PM »
I love a good sort out. I agree @SewRuthieSews, It is freeing.
I do mine at least twice a year. Try everything on and if I haven't worn it. I ask myself why not. Is it uncomfortable, unflattering, not a good colour on me or maybe I just don't have anything to wear with it.
Then they go into piles. Keep but alter, donate, throw or cut up to reuse the fabric.  :sew:
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

smurf44

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 19:56:44 PM »
Love a great clear out.  I’m not too bad at keeping things minimal but a change in body shape and size have me with a bit more than usual, half of which doesn’t fit.
I have a wee drawer i use if there is something i am not wearing. I out it in there and try it 3 times to work out why i dont wear it then if i still dont its sell, gift or donate.
I’m just wearing the same things on repeat and never used to. You’ve inspired me to get my finger up and proper go. I tend to set 20 mins and see what i can pull out that dont use at the mo.

I also have hunners of bags and i had trimmed down then bought one at the creative craft show on Sunday  :laugh:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 21:04:19 PM »
Just been through and sorted my print knit tops into whether they go with anything or work better with navy/denim, black or brown. Brown feels autumnal to me so I'll try wearing a few from that category during November.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 08:54:17 AM »
When I was dropping off to sleep last night I suddenly thought of some repurposing ideas for things in the donate pile.. most of it still to go though!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2023, 08:10:17 AM »
I've now spent some time doing alterations on things to keep, adding size labels to home sewn things I'm donating, doing some trial wears (and washes) of things I'm not sure about.
I have 4 bags of stuff packed up for donation which I'm really pleased about.