The Sewing Place

Festive Fun Contest: 1st November to 31st December 2023

SewRuthieSews

Festive Fun Contest: 1st November to 31st December 2023
« on: November 01, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
"Festive Fun" Contest
This contest runs throughout November and December 2023 and includes seasonal decor, gifts and charity donations.
So for example, quilted advent calendar, felt hand-sewn Christmas decorations, a festive tablecloth.
Fleece hat, socks, PJ bottoms or baby quilt. Alternatively a party outfit for Christmas or New Year would also be OK.
If you enjoy other crafts it can include leather work, candle making, baking or woodwork etc.
We are a very creative bunch here so I'm hoping to see all kinds of wonderful handmade items.

Rules:
1. Hand-make an item for the festive season, for yourself, as a gift, or for charity.

2. This can be a decorative item, clothing or food!

3. A minimum of 1 photo is required.

Timeframe: Construction starts from now and the item(s) must be completed by 31st December 2023.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 3rd January 2024.

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering more than once)
What it is with a short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos.

There will be a poll for Forum members to vote for their favourite(s).
(Number of votes will be proportional to the number of entries. If there are only 1 or 2 entries I won't run the poll.)

The winner can choose from The Sewing Places's
Prize Winners Enamel badge or Sew on Embroidered Patch.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Festive Fun Contest: 1st November to 31st December 2023
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 13:37:57 PM »
We are going to my B & SIL for Christmas so don't necessarily need anything Christmassy at home, but I might do something anyway.....

I made this in 2021-2022 (didn't quite manage it for Christmas 21)

https://jordanfabrics.com/pages/christmas-tree-wall-hanging

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 13:39:36 PM »
I have three Christmas stockings to make for the 2022 crop of grandchildren, hopefully the last! I've got the fabric so will get going on that sometime in the next month or so.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 14:04:53 PM »
I have one more stocking to do, plus gift bags. If I have time I might be tempted to do something else with lovely new Christmas fat quarters that I bought- we’ll see.

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 14:43:40 PM »
I have lovely green fabric with a copper thread through it that would.make.a.lovely festive blouse.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 14:55:59 PM »
Here are my version, 3 of the larger size and 2 of the smaller size

Thay are super cute so I hope to be making some more of them.

Andymat

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 11:43:02 AM »
@SewRuthieSews , Am I right in thinking that you have made some of your pouches with metal zips? If so and as the pattern needs to have the zipper sewn over, how does that work without breaking the needle?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:05:47 PM by SewRuthieSews »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
@Andymat astonishingly I have not yet broken a needle sewing these, and they do all use metal toothed dress zips, from a bundle given to me a few years ago by an elderly lady who sewed lots in the 60s and 70s.

I've used a fairly chunky needle in the sewing machine, then when I've got near the zip teeth I took my foot off the pedal and either hand wound, or lifted the needle and then put it down again the other side of the zip. On others I tried sewing up to the zip then reversing and then turning round and sewing up to the zip from the other side.
Once I done the first line of stitching across the zip, I then cut the teeth out of the seam allowance area, so sewing the strip over the edge to prettify it was easier.

Andymat

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 20:17:31 PM »
OK thanks for that. I think I will have a go at these. I might even try to think of something to enter the challenge with too.

I was sure that my mum used to collect zips and buttons from old pieces of clothing and I now understand why!

Thanks @SewRuthieSews

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 16:06:03 PM »
Not exactly festive but I’m making some simple Tote bags for our local animal charity to sell on their Saturday market stall. They were given some curtain fabric and I’ve used some bits from my stash to do the appliqué and pocket. They’ve asked for a suggestion for a price to sell them at and I was thinking between €12 -€15 maybe? Hoping to make a few and I’ve roped in a few of the sewing group ladies to help make some too. 😇 some of the ladies don’t want to do appliqué or pockets so the basic bags can be priced at the lower end perhaps?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 17:49:28 PM »
Oh that's super cute! I think the applique pocket makes the bag tbh.

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 11:30:41 AM »
Your price sounds about right @WildAtlanticWay . The appliqué is gorgeous and for the time involved and the cost of fabric, the price is a bargain. However, you want to sell them, so best not to pitch the price too high.

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 11:32:57 AM »
Not very exciting, but I made this oven glove in an hour this morning.Not sure whether I’ll give it away or use it myself.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SewRuthieSews