The Sewing Place

Fabric for men's PJ's

Elnnina

Fabric for men's PJ's
« on: November 01, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »
Please can anyone suggest where I might go on line (not ebay though) for suitable knit fabric for men's PJ's, but not the very thin curl up at the edges type of knit.  Having spent 10 days in hospital recently my husband now realises that he needs some new PJ's, (I have mended and patched his existing ones), and he refuses to pay M&S £35 or more for new ones. Surely I can make them a lot cheaper and also ones that will not disintegrate in a few months time.  However I am at a loss to know where to go looking for suitable knit fabric preferably here in the UK, and something that is a little more sturdy than the very thin knits.

So Chic

Re: Fabric for men's PJ's
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 12:41:18 PM »
Try Pound Fabrics as they might have something suitable.  I bought brushed cotton for OH's jimjams from somewhere on  Foleshill Road, Coventry but I can't remember the name.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »
I don't know if you would manage cheaper, tbh. A pair of long sleeved jersey pyjamas for me, a shortish size 12ish, needs 3m of fabric, even if it's plain.

Single jersey, French Terry and even swestshirting all curl to some extent, eveninif good quality simply because of how they're constructed. Interlock and rib (not cuffing) don't curl but, aside from being harder to get, make for less comfortable pyjamas. Rib would work for a top but not so well for bottoms as it tends to cling.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kad

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 13:08:20 PM »
I bought myself a dressing gown from M&S last week. I'd priced the fabric, including postage, to make one with long enough sleeves, mid calf length and the M&S offering fits well, is the colour that I was thinking of and cost £12 less.

And there's no fluff to be cleaned up either  :love:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 13:58:22 PM »
I agree with what @Ouryve says.  I recently bought good quality cotton jersey for a couple of sets of PJs and I could definitely have bought RTW for less.  I'm just fussy about the length of the bottoms (I like them very long and to stay that way after tumble drying), plus I wanted to make PJs.  I've bought cheaper fabric for PJs in the past and really disliked the quality and feel.

Celia

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 18:59:32 PM »
I did manage some nightdresses last year by buying fabric from pound fabrics and it was good quality and has stood up to wearing well.

https://poundfabrics.co.uk/