The Sewing Place

Foundation Paper Piecing

SewRuthieSews

Foundation Paper Piecing
« on: November 01, 2023, 13:50:23 PM »
I decided I'd like to learn the foundation paper piecing technique.
To avoid overload I started with a really simple mountain scene from Etive & Co.
For my version I decided to have blue sky, purple mountains and green fields.

I found the video for how to assemble this really clear. I watched it all the way through first, then followed along the second time making my piece at the same time (with lots of pausing).
Beginner foundation paper piecing tutorial by Etive & Co. Simple mountain pattern.

Celia

Re: Foundation Paper Piecing
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 17:36:55 PM »
Looks brilliant I have one I would love to do but think it’s a bit complicated for a beginner yours looks great.

KayK

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 17:58:32 PM »
I have only one tip regarding FPP - don't buy the special paper, buy really cheap photocopy paper!  It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 19:32:24 PM »
@SewRuthieSews FPP is good for fiddly and strange shapes. You just have to get your head round making sure your fabric covers the patch, and enjoy ripping out all that paper afterwards :rolleyes: (did they tell you to use a short stitch?).

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 19:37:21 PM »
One thing I use for FPP is bank paper. It's very thin and I have some from when I worked at the Export House and needed six carbon copies (when typewriters were widely used).  I think it is still sold so worth looking for that.  I think it's around 30gsm.  Correction: 50gsm bank paper.  Rymans have it at £6.29 for 500 sheets

https://www.rymanbusiness.com/q-connect-a4-white-bank-paper-50gsm-pack-of-500-kf51015--4?gclid=CjwKCAjw7oeqBhBwEiwALyHLM84_rm8xYjovmed46HmT8tZzYbzohD8lRvySANcLSO-o2cwAn-Bg6hoCs2UQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 20:59:39 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 23:24:41 PM »
Yes they did say to use a short stitch. I used normal printer paper. It ripped away easily. The method makes sense to me I'll try some more designs to improve before I try anything too complicated

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 09:20:51 AM »
Kiddies tracing paper from the £ shops and an extra short stitch.

You can print on it, but attach the fabric to the unprinted side just in case.

Personally I still think its the  :devil: s darkside
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 09:26:20 AM »
I use leftover bits of pattern drafting paper for my small-scale, ie mug rug sized, efforts.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 09:30:37 AM »
Excellent idea @Flobear
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 09:48:39 AM »
It is truly the work of the :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 19:41:59 PM »
I find it a fascinating experience to do though it's not my favourite. Many years ago I bought a book at a quilt show with 365 designs, so far I've done one of them......  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

justpottering

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 09:46:38 AM »
I enjoy EPP I usually take some on holiday with me  :) but that's done by hand of course, FPP I'm not so keen on but have done some

That's a lovely colour combination @SewRuthieSews
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:50:04 AM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 18:25:13 PM »
Good for you! I have tried it, but didn’t take to it. I noticed that some people like to use bakers’ parchment for it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.