The Sewing Place

4.25mm knitting needles

Mamashep

4.25mm knitting needles
« on: November 13, 2023, 17:55:39 PM »
4.00mm is too tight, 4,5mm too loose, so I thought what I really needed is 4.25mm needles. These are as rare as hen's teeth. I found Patons rose gold ones online, so ordered 2 pairs, as I always manage to lose 1 needle. They arrived, one pair totally useless as they have a burr on the point,  so will have to try to file that one down at some point. The other pair, have gone very rough at the points after 1 childs garment. I have ordered a bamboo pair from Amazon, to see if they are any better. I just wondered if anyone had found any other brand in 4.25mm needles, and if so where?

Acorn

Re: 4.25mm knitting needles
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 18:16:26 PM »
Wool Warehouse have got Sirdar metal ones in two lengths.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:30:55 AM »
Try charity shops.  They always have loads in a few of my local shops at a fraction of the price but they are hidden behind the counter. The only problem is they may be in the old sizes so you need to know both before going shopping!
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:32:12 AM »
@Bumblebuncher @Mamashep Do they still do metric and imperial knitting needle guages?  I have one from years ago and it's very handy for converting one to the nearest equivalent in the other system.  Would be worth getting one if they do and taking it with you on your charity shop expedition.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 11:07:32 AM »
@HenriettaMaria Yes they do, I got one of each from one of the charity shops  :laughing: The other one probably has one hidden behind the counter as they always label their size if there is not one on it.  They also have an abundance of crochet hooks if anyone is looking for them.
I would just mention that not all charity shops stock craft items so don't be disappointed if you get a couple of fails.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Mamashep

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 15:46:23 PM »
Wool Warehouse have got Sirdar metal ones in two lengths.

That's what I bought, the quality is pretty  poor, which I did not expect from Sirdar.

Mamashep

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 15:47:24 PM »
@Bumblebuncher @Mamashep Do they still do metric and imperial knitting needle guages?  I have one from years ago and it's very handy for converting one to the nearest equivalent in the other system.  Would be worth getting one if they do and taking it with you on your charity shop expedition.

I have these, but 4.25mm seems to be US sizes, and have never been available here as far as I know, until now.

Mamashep

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 15:48:26 PM »
I got a pair of Bamboo ones from Ebay. that look like they are decent quality.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 17:43:52 PM »
Bamboo needles are much grippier than metal needles and that might affect your tension. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Mamashep

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2023, 15:04:01 PM »
Bamboo needles are much grippier than metal needles and that might affect your tension.
Not all of them! I bought a pair that were smooth and wonderful to knit with, tension was exactly the same as metal, I loved them. So decided to buy a whole set of these, which turned out to be much rougher, and not at all nice to knit with. I have not tried the new bamboo ones yet. but have had a look and they are very very smooth and look like they have been polished. They were more expensive, so perhaps there are different qualities of bamboo needles, like the metal ones. I just wish knitpro did 4.25mm, I love their needles.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 17:08:08 PM »
The bamboo ones I’ve had have been very slippy.  I can no longer use metal as it hurts my hands.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 18:49:04 PM »
I find my cheaper bamboo ones start out a bit rough but handling gives them a certain patina from the oil in my skin and then  they slide better.  I did splash out on a set of 3.25 in birch and they are lovely.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m