The Sewing Place

Water soluble tissue

Ellabella

Water soluble tissue
« on: November 13, 2023, 23:44:44 PM »
On FB I’ve seen a video of someone drawing a design onto what looks like lightweight interfacing, putting it onto fabric and then embroidering the design. They then rinse away the ‘interfacing’.

This would be perfect for me to transfer a Japanese symbol onto a bag that I am sashiko stitching for a friend.

I’m not sure what I’m looking for, is it wash away stabiliser?

Bumblebuncher

Re: Water soluble tissue
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 09:21:02 AM »
It is literally called washable transfer paper for embroidery!
I could post a link but there are many varieties to choose from and I can't remember which brand I used.
The problem was it did not wash off properly under the embroidery!
I always just draw straight onto the fabric with a pencil, 4b with light colours and a tailor's chalk with dark colours as that washes out much easier than the transfer paper did!
Although it could have just been the make I bought it was quite a few years ago and I just had to throw the whole lot (embroidery too) in the bin as it was just a congealed mess at the end.  If you buy it, try a sample first to ensure it does wash off properly.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:21:37 AM »
Yes, water soluble stabiliser - there are two types, one is like a plastic, and the other is more like interfacing, that'll be the one you want to draw on I think.  One brand name is "Solvy", but there are others.  I get a lot of my stabilisers from emboideredjust4u

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »
Here's the fabric type - linky

I've never had a problem with washing it away - I tend to just soak the bit I've embroidered in warm water for about 10 minutes and it's all gone.

KayK

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 18:09:56 PM »
Similar to Solvy is 'Solufleece'- looks a bit like a lightweight JCloth, is sturdy enough to draw on (biro, not marker as the wet will dissolve it!) washes away well, and holds quite a decent amount of stitches!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bill

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 17:45:54 PM »
How much do you.need @Ellabella ?
I have a roll of the stuff from when I had my embroidery machine and only use little bits for awkward sewing jobs. I'll happily send you some for a smile?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 01:25:01 AM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 17:13:00 PM »
Oh Bill I’ve just seen this, how kind. I only need a piece about 25cm by 25cm.

Anything you need for a swapsie?

Bill

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 23:34:11 PM »
No no @Ellabella
Pm me yer address and I'll send asap  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 11:24:25 AM »
@Bill how good of you to pass it along!  I’ve used Solvy myself.  The type I use can go through an inkjet printer or allow me to draw on it with fabric marker. It has a peel & stick backing to put it on the fabric.

It washes away quite well.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.