The Sewing Place

Does it need another row?

realale

Does it need another row?
« on: November 16, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »
Help please!!!
I've just laid out my 30 blocks in a 5x6 format and am wondering if another row on the bottom would be better. I've laid it out on a throw I have and though the width is fine the length seems a bit short. I could put on a deep bottom border but think that may look odd.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Any ideas anyone?
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Does it need another row?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 11:22:48 AM »
Oh its gorgeous!

Is it to go on a single bed, or just for snuggling on the sofa?

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 11:29:07 AM »
Speaking as a wholely light side person here and having no concept of how these things are decided or achieved, if you feel you want a wider bit at the bottom, what about constructing the structure of a book case around it with a "plinth" at the bottom which is deeper than the sides or top?

Sorry, amended to say how impressed I am at the effort that's obviously gone into this - it's lovely!

realale

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 11:34:22 AM »
Speaking as a wholely light side person here and having no concept of how these things are decided or achieved, if you feel you want a wider bit at the bottom, what about constructing the structure of a book case around it with a "plinth" at the bottom which is deeper than the sides or top?
I did think of doing that as well but I'm just undecided. I like the idea of making it into a book case and have been pondering some design ideas.
I think she'll use this as a watching telly/ reading a book on the settee type of quilt rather than as a bed quilt.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 11:37:19 AM »
I like the proportions as it is - I think it's great aesthetically.  However, if you want it longer for practical purposes that's a different matter!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 11:52:42 AM »
As another who has no idea about these sort of things…. :rolleyes:
If it’s going to be used for sitting, can you sit yourself and measure how much you would need to feel comfy and cosy?   
It’s lovely work. So clever and interesting. 

fajita

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 13:52:45 PM »
I think that’s lovely, @realale

I think the proportions are good as is, so if I put another row I’d be tempted to even it up with another column, too.

Having said that, if you sat on the couch with your legs tucked up, would it adequately cover the hips, legs and feet. That would be my perfect size.

I’m keeping this quilt in mind for when I get my sewjo back. Might steal it.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 14:22:52 PM »
It is lovely and I think it’s fine the size it is but I am also no quilt expert

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 16:16:46 PM »
It's lovely @realale .
I, personally, prefer proper rectangular quilts and would do another row but it's purely personal preference.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 16:25:55 PM »
Thanks for all your input everyone.
Another friend has pointed out that odd numbers rule so 5x7 would be best.  ::thinks::
I think I'll do it as is at the moment then try it with the reject blocks before I add the edging to see which I prefer. I'm possibly over thinking this.....

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 16:46:47 PM »
It's terribly easy to get bound up in detail @realale  She'll love it whatever you decide ( but I'd still do another row  :P )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 17:00:02 PM »
Another friend has pointed out that odd numbers rule so 5x7 would be best.  ::thinks::.....

I was tempted to mention that but thought better of it as I’m not a quilter/patchworker anyway.   :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 17:23:43 PM »
I like the bookcase idea, it could have a shaped bit at the top, a base at the bottom and thinner sections at the side.

realale

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 21:13:06 PM »
 :rant: It's going to be another 5 blocks   :headbang:
I knew it but were hoping you lot would persuade me otherwise. Harrumph.
OK suggestions for book titles for a 13 years old girl - I've obviously used all the generic ones, as well as specific ones for her.
Deep breath, I can do this.

Bjay

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 23:00:28 PM »
Just seen this
. It us magnificent but I would add another row.  Not surprised  it has taken so long

I think a quilt needs space to tuck feet under when cuddled up on sofa.

Trying to find my way on the Dark side