The Sewing Place

Anyone used Drops Alpaca?

Sheilago

Anyone used Drops Alpaca?
« on: November 18, 2023, 16:32:56 PM »
I’ve just ordered 8 balls of this yarn; to knit 2 cowls, but I was surprised that it wasn’t as soft as I was expecting. I’ve used alpaca before as I can’t wear normal wool next to my skin, especially on my neck and near my face, but this particular yarn feels really itchy to me. The description and reviews all talk about it’s softness.  :S

I wondered if it gets softer when washed, but probably I’d be best just to send it back.

Not sure why there are 2 of these posts: the website was very slow when I was posting.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 17:27:53 PM by Sheilago »

Pearl

Re: Anyone used Drops Alpaca?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 18:34:20 PM »
I’m surprised to hear that, @Sheilago .  I haven’t used the alpaca but I have used other Drops yarns and have always found them to be very soft.

It probably would soften with washing, but it’s a risk so might be better to return it.

ETA I’ve removed the other thread

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 21:59:31 PM »
Thanks @ Pearl, I have also used many Drops yarns and really liked them. It’s just that the alpaca wasn’t as soft as I’d thought. I’m going to return them and replace them with Drops baby merino. I know it’s fine against my skin.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 16:11:14 PM »
I'm fine with wool but have never found an alpaca yarn that doesn't scratch and tickle. It's the coarse guard hairs thst cause the scratch. Fewer of them in decent baby alpaca but that is quite spendy.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 16:44:47 PM »
They do sell more than one alpaca, the softer one is called Puna https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/drops-puna-all-colours and there is also https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn/drops-alpaca-all-colours

I am knitting in the second one at the moment because of the colour but it is a jumper for my son which will go over another layer so not an issue.

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 22:49:43 PM »
Yarn is all packed up to be returned tomorrow. If I decide to use alpaca in future, I’ll need to buy it in a shop so that I can check its softness.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 14:22:25 PM »
@Sheilago I'm currently using Drops Air which is 65% alpaca and it is incredibly soft ( I can't have anything remotely itchy near my skin)
However, the reason I'm posting now is because I had a very interesting conversation this morning with a farmer who has 50 alpacas.  He got a small number to do alpaca trekking when Covid restrictions started to ease and it's currently so popular he has 50 and is always fully booked.
I asked him if he has a market for his fleeces because I know 2 people who just have a couple as pets and they can't even give the fleeces away to spinners.  He said that he has the same problem although he does have one spinner / weaver who will take his fleeces and make items for his ( the farmer's) shop.  It is hugely expensive to have them processed.
He explained that alpaca doesn't have the 'hooks' on the fibres like sheep wool so can't be spun in the same way. Also, the fibres in alpaca are abrasive and when mixed with wool will degrade the wool fibres so spinners don't like it.  That could be why you found it scratchy.
I see that Drops Alpaca is 100% alpaca so the yarn must be produced by a different method.  I notice, looking at a strand of my 65% alpaca Drops Air, that it looks a bit like a knitted tube - it is described on the label as a Blow Yarn.  It also says that it is made with baby alpaca which may be softer.
Every day is a school day isn't it!
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 15:31:18 PM »
Interesting @Ploshkin.  Never knew any of that! 

Celia

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 15:33:05 PM »
The next jumper I want to knit is in Drops air, it does feel soft. 

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 17:09:40 PM »
Thanks @Ploshkin, that is interesting. I used alpaca years ago for a scarf, but perhaps it was a mix of fibres. I can’t remember now which yarn I used.
The Drops baby merino that I bought instead is lovely and it comes in such beautiful colours.

Starryfish

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 20:03:24 PM »
I'm wearing a cardigan now made from Drops Alpaca- https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=11037&cid=19. It's so soft ,warm and comfortable!

I really recommend this yarn, will probably knit something else soon.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 22:19:45 PM »
@Starryfish  that looks great I am looking for a new cardy off to look at the pattern

Puzzler

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 07:25:59 AM »
Thank you for the information on alpaca @Ploshkin. Very interesting. I have used a few types of Drops yarns, some good, some not so much. I was after some yarn for a shawl. Really wish I could manage a cardigan but fitting issues abound. Went all around the houses in my search and ended up with a different brand. Decided against an alpaca blend.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 08:52:57 AM »
I did actually look up the blow(n) yarn process and my observations were correct.  The fibres are blown through a mesh tube and the process is suitable for fibres which will push through the mesh and be fluffy.  It explains why there is no market for alpaca fleeces on a small scale as it's an industrial process that can't be done by an individual or cottage industry.
Life's too short for ironing.