The Sewing Place

Binding width

Sara-S

Binding width
« on: November 20, 2023, 18:00:45 PM »
How wide or narrow do you like your quilt binding?
I like it a bit on the wider side since I find it easier to handle. Also, I prefer the look.  I have, however, been scolded (rudely I must say) by folks who insist that only the narrowest possible binding is acceptable.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 21:41:01 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Deafoldbat

Re: Binding width
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 18:43:15 PM »
@Sara-S It's your quilt, do what you like. I believe @Acorn still has the quilt police locked in a shed somewhere...

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 19:04:45 PM »
I like a chunky binding most times ... almost a border.

This is one, machine stitched down with a Blanket stitch (using the mirror image function on an electronic SM) with a flange as well

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 19:41:44 PM »
I think a wider border looks better.....but I don't make quilts. I think you should do what you like & tell the others to go away, (probably rather less politely than that)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Hideout Hen

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 19:53:04 PM »
People who state something should be a certain way have no creativity.
How boring the world would be if they were right.
There would be no unusual or original creations.
Do what you want! :thumb:
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 19:56:57 PM »
The accepted width is 2.5" to be folded in half.
 I ,personally prefer a wider binding. My last one was 4" then folded. My next one will be 3" as that fits the overall look better

Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 21:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the input.  BTW @Iminei  I love that binding!

I like it about 4” (before folding) as it is easier to work with.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 22:47:03 PM »
I prefer to cut it to 2 inches wide - but I do nearly always hand sew it down.  You need it a bit wider if you machine stitch it down.

As others have said, there's no hard and fast rule, it's what you like and what you think will look best on whatever quilt you are making.  No quilt police allowed on here; Acorn does have tehm securely under lock and key - and probably can't find the key now anyway.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 23:43:38 PM »
Then I say we send some cyber-champagne :VV: to @Acorn for locking up the quilt police!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 12:06:42 PM »
How boring these people must be if they can only do things a certain way.   ::thinks::
Your quilt, do what you want and be proud to be different!

It’s a good job fashion designers don’t stick to rules or things would be very drab.  In pattern cutting we were told to learn the rules then find out how to break them.  There would have been no Dior, Chanel, Schiaparelli, McQueen. 

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2023, 16:21:26 PM »
I personally like a narrow-ish binding but then it's all relative.

Mug rugs I would always do a quarter inch - except one which was a bit lop-sided and I had to do 3 eighths to cover the wonkiness!

My Sparkling Stars quilt, which is nearly 70 ins square, is going to have something wider but I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

You do what pleases you @Sara-S  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 12:57:28 PM »
I am going to make the binding for another quilt today. I plan to make it 4” wide,, so the quilt police can just bite me.

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2023, 22:08:06 PM »
I just finished the Morning Star quilt with the 4” binding. I still had to go back over a couple of missed spots, but there weren’t as many mistakes as I have made in the past. The wider biding made it much easier.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2023, 11:43:54 AM »
Looks just lovely, @Sara-S  :perfect10:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sheilago

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 07:57:45 AM »
That looks lovely @Sara-S .I love the plain colours and the spotty surroundings.  I usually cut strips 2.5in wide, but that’s often because I haven’t planned the binding and am trying to find a bit of fabric big enough from my stash, so I can’t go much wider, but I do go wider if I’m machine stitching the whole binding. As you say it’s easier to handle.
 I can see why wider , or indeed narrower, would suit better depending on the quilt. Some people forget what the origins of quilting were . Do whatever you like. I don’t understand why anyone would scold you- show them that morning star quilt to prove your point!