The Sewing Place

Anyone subscribe to Inside Crochet magazine?

HenriettaMaria

Anyone subscribe to Inside Crochet magazine?
« on: November 23, 2023, 15:01:10 PM »
I decided to get back into crochet as I think it will be less stress on the dodgy back than either sewing or knitting.  I haven't made a crochet garment for myself since my teens so where to start?  I had a look on the mag stand in the supermarket and picked up Inside Crochet (issue 163).  As well as the cover pic sweater, which I could see myself wearing, albeit with a higher neckline, I was taken with the Spirit of Flora designs by Jane Crowfoot.  I could imagine those being incorporated into a cardigan or jacket. 

You can see what these medallions look like here

Does anyone subscribe to this magazine and, if so, please PM me if you think you can furnish me with scans of the previous designs.  Back numbers are about £8 a pop and these designs have been running since January!

Thank you

Puzzler

Re: Anyone subscribe to Inside Crochet magazine?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 07:27:27 AM »
That pattern is amazing. Did you see @Missie’s crochet project she posted about recently? That was a beautiful one too.

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 08:11:01 AM »
Have you thought about joining a local library? Mine has an online facility and you can get access to all sorts of magazines free.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 09:03:22 AM »
I checked Libby and that has simply crochet but no inside crochet, for me, at least.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 10:13:22 AM »
@HenriettaMaria       I can’t help with the magazine but a lot of Jane’s crotchet patterns are free on this site https://www.stylecraft-yarns.co.uk/crochet-and-knit-along/uk

There are some lovely patterns that are similar.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 12:41:48 PM »
@Sheilago What a good idea!  I am a library member but I don't think I've been inside the place since before the pandemic.  I will check it out, thank you.

@Celia Thank you - I'll check it out.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 13:04:08 PM »
 @HenriettaMaria        Be careful I fell down the rabbit hole and now fancy doing some crochet   :laughing:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 16:35:04 PM »
I prefer crochet to knitting.  Actually found yesterday that I have a ball of Drops Air bought some time ago.  I think it was to make a hat.  Now, if I could only remember what pattern it was! ::thinks::

Missie

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 11:16:53 AM »
I prefer crochet to knitting.

Me too and I am an almost lifetime knitter; my grandma taught me when I was very young, maybe about age 7.

I find crochet more portable and also very mindful, due to the constant counting required, or is that just me?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 15:52:47 PM »
@HenriettaMaria ah yes some crochet patterns need a lining or something else worn underneath.  :)
@Missie like lots of others I also learnt to knit when I was about 6 or 7.  Crochet came later.  I just find it's quicker, I can generally only lose one stitch instead of a whole load and modern crochet creates all sorts of interesting effects.  It doesn’t make my hands ache the same either.