The Sewing Place

mix and match info for novice

dafyddcoch

mix and match info for novice
« on: December 03, 2023, 23:29:32 PM »
Hi everyone. dafyddcoch here. I'm still mainly only sewing curtains and bags etc., but hoping to make a fleece vest from a pattern for a vest and or jacket. I want a very high zip-up collar to keep me warm on my motorbike, but in the pictures online, only the jacket has the very high collar, whilst the vest has a high-ish collar. It it likely that the vest is essentially the jacket without the sleeves and I'll be able to use the jacket collar on the vest?

Apologies if this is a daft question but this 62 yr-old male is not that experienced in his hobby.

Thanks/Diolch

toileandtrouble

Re: mix and match info for novice
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 04:34:16 AM »
Try the pattern pieces against one another.  If the neckline are the same, then you can use the other collar.  If not, then redraw the vest pieces with the jacket neckline.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

realale

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 11:45:56 AM »
If you tell us which pattern it is we could perhaps advise you more.
Otherwise compare the neck edge of both collar pattern pieces, if they match just use the one you want.
So many beers, so little time.

Missie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 14:45:04 PM »
Apologies if this is a daft question but this 62 yr-old male is not that experienced in his hobby.

Thanks/Diolch

The only daft question is the one that remains unasked  :P

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 18:32:21 PM »
Are you using the word 'vest' in the American way meaning a waistcoat or gilet (sleeveless jacket) or do you want a very warm undergarment as in the English use of the word?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

dafyddcoch

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »
Thanks everyone.
Are you using the word 'vest' in the American way meaning a waistcoat or gilet (sleeveless jacket) or do you want a very warm undergarment as in the English use of the word?
A sort of gillet is what it looks like but with a very high zip up neck. I found it odd to call it a vest. A vest is something your mother used to check you were wearing under your shirt in the winter. As least it was when I was a lad.
If you tell us which pattern it is we could perhaps advise you more.
Otherwise compare the neck edge of both collar pattern pieces, if they match just use the one you want.
This is the one I thought I may make https://simplicity.com/new-look/n6713 and great advice re the neck edge.
Try the pattern pieces against one another.  If the neckline are the same, then you can use the other collar.  If not, then redraw the vest pieces with the jacket neckline.
. Again, great advice.

I just need to buy a zigzag attachment for my Jones CB model D (it has no machine zigzag option as it is too old.) and we'll be off! Thanks again everyone; much appreciated.
The only daft question is the one that remains unasked  :P
  Very true and an approach I adopt with others. I need to adopt the same attitude towards myself perhaps.

Hwyl!

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 21:39:15 PM »
Yes that's a gillet in England and presumably in Wales too.  It's just that most of the big pattern companies are American and their use of the English language is different; especially when it comes to vest and pants!

Looking closely at the diagrams I would say that the sleeveless version has been adapted from the jacket with sleeves and that will mean that you could use the jacket collar on the gillet.

Try laying the fronts of each pattern on top of each other to see if the necklines are the same and then lay the collar pieces on top of each other to see if the neckline seams are the same.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

dafyddcoch

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 17:14:03 PM »
Thanks/Diolch Brenda. I will indeed look at the seams to see if they're the same.

You seem to collect sewing machines like I collect motorcycles! Wonderful. 

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 14:50:14 PM »
If you look at the shapes of the necks on this page

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/mens/jackets/vests-gilets.html

you'll see that the collars are almost cylindrical.  Is this the shape (if not the fabric) that you're after?  If so, keep the sewing line of your pattern piece unchanged so it fits the stitching line of the front/back neck steam and extend the height of the pattern piece cylindrically.  Check it out on some buckshee fabric first to make sure you're happy with the fit - depending on your neck size and shape you may need to adjust the cylinder to a slightly tapered, or indeed flared, shape.  Don't forget to allow for seam allowances when fitting and cutting out.