The Sewing Place

shops in Chester

annierose

shops in Chester
« on: December 05, 2023, 08:40:09 AM »
Hello! DH & I love a Xmas market, and this year we're exploring Chester - a city we have never been to in an area we don't really know. Googl tells me that Abakhan is there (I think I have come across them at shows). Any other fabric or haby places I should know about? Or any other stores / things to do? Thanks!

SewRuthieSews

Re: shops in Chester
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 09:22:47 AM »
Abakhan Fabrics have stores mostly in the North West of England, with a large shop in Mostyn North Wales. I don't think they do shows. When I shopped at them there were lots of fabrics you could buy by weight, and mixed bags of buttons, zips etc
https://www.abakhan.co.uk/
I visited the Chester shop some years ago. At that time it was quite small but smart, and for Abakhan quite expensive, no  fabrics by weight or prepacked grab bags. However its over 10 years ago, so not sure what it's like now.

Jaycotts are on an industrial unit site a little out of the centre - you'd need a car to get there I would think.
https://jaycotts.co.uk/
Only open Monday - Friday from 9am to 4pm
Jaycotts, Unit D2, Chester Trade Park, Off Bumpers Lane, Chester, CH1 4LT, UK
Tel: 01244 394099
Again I've not been for over 10 years but the photos on their website show it as I remember, but the customer area smartened up

annierose

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
Oh thank you! I've seen Jaycotts on-line but didn't know they were near Chester.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 10:49:24 AM »
I lived in Warrington for many years and bought a couple of my sewing machines from Jaycotts.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 10:54:02 AM »
Abakhan in Chester now has fabrics by weight. I'm not sure what type of fabric would interest you, but quilting cottons work out at ~£5/m when bought by weight. I can't think of any other fabric/haby shops in the city centre. There might be a knitting stall in the new indoor market, but it is mainly street food stalls now.

Jaycotts showroom has machines and fabrics on display, but have a look at their website and go with a shopping list as they can get items from the warehouse part of the unit.

There is the cathedral to look around and three museums that I can think of (Sick to Death, Deva Roman Experience and the Grosvenor Musuem) and if the weather is nice you might like to do a walk round the city walls.

If you enjoy hunting for bargains in charity shops, Chester has plenty and they often have a good selection of race day / party/ wedding outfits.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »
Calico Laine's warehouse in Neston is about 10 miles from Chester, going onto the Wirral.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annierose

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 21:48:58 PM »
Thank you all, we shall be looking to do some tourist visits, and we're driving there, so may well visit Jaycott's or Calico Laine as well.

annierose

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 22:02:06 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to thank you all. I didn't get to Jaycotts or Calico Laine, but I did do a nice shop in Abakhan, and paid by weight! Very friendly staff.
I had a nice poke about the charity shops, astounded by the high heels on sale!
Have to say the Christmas market was rather disappointing - not much original stuff, but some of the other shops were pleasant, and the city itself was lovely, so enjoyable overall.
Happy Christmas!

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 16:44:06 PM »
We went to the Chester Christmas market and late night opening last year only to discover that the late night opening had been cancelled (and we arrived at 5pm...) and the market was just a few generic stalls selling nothing of interest.  The Liverpool one was better, but still just the same stalls.

Abakhan is great though!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.