The Sewing Place

Anyone knitted purlsoho cowl - my join is not working

Sheilago

Anyone knitted purlsoho cowl - my join is not working
« on: December 05, 2023, 08:51:29 AM »
I’m knitting this pattern - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/two-color-cotton-cowl as part of my sister’s Christmas gift, using Drops baby merino rather than cotton. It’s going ok, barring a couple of mistakes that are very difficult to fix, but try as I might I can’t get the bit where the rounds join to be neat. I’m making sure that the yarns are twisted together when I change from one colour to another and knitting tightly, but it’s such a mess that I think I’ll have to just sew a seam effectively. I’ve already sewn a little of it up. I just wondered if anyone had done something similar . I’ve looked on Ravelry, but no one mentions having difficulty with the join.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Greybird

Re: Anyone knitted purlsoho cowl - my join is not working
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 09:13:40 AM »
I can't help with that pattern - I'm a machine knitter only - but I would have thought that a mattress stitch seam would work better - would be almost invisible.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 09:26:20 AM »
You are knitting in the round which is a spiral, not separate circles.  That means that there will always be a jog where the end of round comes.  It doesn't usually show when using a single colour but it does with stripes etc.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 09:43:29 AM »
I assume you have checked out the videos on their website but I think the problem is where you are trying to do fisherman’s rib and that involves knitting into the stitch below and that makes crossing the yarns difficult.

I am now fascinated and might try a small sample

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 10:43:38 AM »
Yes @Celia , I think that’s the problem, but no one else mentions it or shows the ugly join in their project notes on Ravelry .

I can’t see a video that demonstrates how to do it either.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:47:20 AM by Sheilago »

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 11:42:54 AM »

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 11:48:43 AM »
Thanks @LeilaMay . I’ll think about that. I wondered if there was some little trick, but it’s complicated by the fact that this changes colour every row and  is being knitted in fisherman’s rib, where in one row you knit into the stitch below and on the next you purl into the row below. I’m not sure how you’d pick up the row below. ::thinks::

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 13:03:20 PM »
Made a stupid mistake in a row and just couldn’t fix it, so had to rip it all back to the border start :scream:
I might try an easier pattern given that I need it done by Christmas. However I’d like to sort this issue out as I would like to knit one for myself.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 08:24:58 AM »
Started this pattern last night https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2020/09/26/two-color-mistake-rib-cowl/

It’s much quicker and easier and given that I want it ready for Christmas, is a better option. I quite like the herringbone effect .I’m just using the rolled border from the fisherman’s rib pattern that I ripped back. That , at least, saved me redoing the casting on!

I’ll have another try at the fisherman’s rib cowl after Christmas when I’ve got more time. I’ve already bought enough merino wool to knit one for myself, so I’ll give it a go and since it will be for me, the occasional mistake won’t matter so much. :laugh:

Celia

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 09:10:14 AM »
That also looks nice, I will try the first one too but am a bit busy with Christmas knitting myself at the moment, do tell us when you are starting again @Sheilago