The Sewing Place

shortening shirt sleeves

dafyddcoch

shortening shirt sleeves
« on: December 07, 2023, 17:25:41 PM »
Hi all. As a novice machinist, (curtains, bags, towels, mobile phone holders etc. thus-far but seem to be ok at it) is it feasible for me to try and shorten shirt sleeves on a conventional collared shirt for a male? When attending a festival, I came across a patterned shirt that fitted my name, not my body. Being a somewhat rotund sort-of-a-chap, I had to buy one with the arms were too long to get one that was comfortable around my torso. The sleeves are too long and the wrists are also too large. I seem to remember that male shirts are quite complex garments and I don't want to take it apart and not be able to reassemble it.

Thanks muchly/Diolch Mawr

Lachica

Re: shortening shirt sleeves
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 17:41:19 PM »
Do you want to make it short sleeved? That's quite easy. If you want to keep wrist length sleeves then cut off the cuffs, shorten the sleeves then reattach the cuffs. You'd lose the sleeve plackett though could make a new one. You'd probably have to slim the sleeves at the forearm as well. Cuffs too big - move the buttons. If they're much too big then unpicking the cuffs would allow you to make them smaller. It's a lot of patient work though. Good luck.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

dafyddcoch

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 20:16:12 PM »
oo hec! It sounds quite technical but worth trying on a scrap shirt first. I'm such a novice that I learnt a new word as a result of your post, thanks/diolch; the word placket. Thanks also for the advice.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 21:36:18 PM »
Hello dafyddcoch.  :)

If you search on here ...shortening sleeves on men's shirts...(sorry I don't know how to add a link for you to click on)...you'll find an old thread of mine with pictures showing how I do it.
It might help you decide whether or not to attempt it.

Sandra.
xxx

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 21:39:57 PM »

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 21:42:31 PM »
@Sandra that's a brilliant tutorial.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 21:50:58 PM »
Thank you for adding the linky thing for me.  :thumb:

Sandra.
xxx

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 13:32:05 PM »
How about these for the easy option?

https://www.gentsshop.co.uk/armbands.html

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 14:47:36 PM »
My Dad, whose arms were short used to use those armbands. It never occurred to me to wonder why he wore them - he just did! Depends how smart your shirt is to be, but you could simply make a tuck all round just above the elbow to shorten it enough. If you were careful enough with pattern matching it probably wouldn't show too much.