The Sewing Place

Fabric Stash of doom

smurf44

Fabric Stash of doom
« on: December 09, 2023, 14:58:44 PM »
I sorted my fabric out when I was off sick…..  :scream:  I kept buying bits and different types to play with but hadnt realised just how much i had…. I can’t be the only one? This is not all of it!!   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Morgan

Re: Fabric Stash of doom
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 16:59:49 PM »
Plenty of company.
I feel very happy following a recent sorting out of the fabric stash and separating out and passing on the pieces I knew I'd never use.
The other choice I made is to sew up the precious fabrics for everyday wear items and stop saving them for something special that never quite happens. 

What remains is still a sizeable stash and actually I'm rather happy with it.  There are many pieces I adore and am looking forward to making them up into their projects.  I do not feel under any pressure to get it all sewn up quickly and accept these lovely projects will be made when they happen.
I still buy fabric, but am rather choosey about what I buy these days and mostly know what the project will be when I buy it.  Even if it will be a couple of years before it actually gets made  that's fine. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 17:14:36 PM »
I fear you may be just a mere beginner at the fabric stash game, compared to some on here  :S

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 18:44:36 PM »
Pah! Amateur stash! A good way to store it though, so you can see how the fabric goes with your wardrobe.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 22:13:50 PM »
Seems very modest to me.  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 22:17:19 PM »
I had a quite a stash when we went into lockdown and that was lucky.  It kept me sane as I was able to grab something and run up tops and trousers etc when I wanted.  Now the large  jersey stash is gone and I’m having trouble finding a lot that takes my fancy. 

smurf44

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 09:15:07 AM »
Plenty of company.
I feel very happy following a recent sorting out of the fabric stash and separating out and passing on the pieces I knew I'd never use.
The other choice I made is to sew up the precious fabrics for everyday wear items and stop saving them for something special that never quite happens. 

What remains is still a sizeable stash and actually I'm rather happy with it.  There are many pieces I adore and am looking forward to making them up into their projects.  I do not feel under any pressure to get it all sewn up quickly and accept these lovely projects will be made when they happen.
I still buy fabric, but am rather choosey about what I buy these days and mostly know what the project will be when I buy it.  Even if it will be a couple of years before it actually gets made  that's fine.

Thats a good plan!  for the most part I know the project when I buy the fabric, so most of that is ear marked.  However, i had bought a few things with no project and then I save bits thinking i could use it.   or i also save stuff for good. 

smurf44

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 09:15:38 AM »
I fear you may be just a mere beginner at the fabric stash game, compared to some on here  :S

that makes me feel better... me yarn stash is terifying... i think i could build a house form it!

smurf44

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »
i#m feeling like a need to buy more fabric now muhahahahha

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
Thankfully I've never taken up knitting otherwise I know I'd end up with a big yarn stash!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 10:23:59 AM »
I can't believe I've only bought 11 meters this year.  However on a sort out in odd places, I discovered a lot more than what I'd bought, which is not on my total list, although I got a couple of bargains from a shop that was closing down.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

realale

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2023, 10:41:55 AM »
Many many years ago my DH snagged an auction lot which was the remaining material from a fabric shop that had closed down - I still have bolts and rolls of the stuff. Much of what is left isn't my colour or I've used it so often I've fallen out of like with it. I'm gradually whittling it down but it is definitely SABLE (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy).  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 11:32:05 AM »
I think a fabric stash ("resource centre") is something to be mindful with, I know I've over bought in the past, but also I use stuff from my stash a lot.

Early on I bought a lot of cheap fabric, I experimented with colours that don't really suit me, I bought wool and suiting. It was always too warm in the office to wear my nice wool jackets. And some of the suiting got made up, but I didn't have the time or skill to make too many of the planned suits.

I've given quite a lot of fabric away to charitable groups (through an intermediary), to friends and family and sold some on here. Bought a bit, but a lot less than I got rid of.

I shopped a lot at roll end shops, the sort of place where the fabric content is sometimes unclear, the prices are good and  if you don't buy it that day they'll never have it again. To be honest that's had mixed results, some great outcomes and some what was I thinking pieces.

As I sewist I am mostly inspired by the fabric first, it does 'talk' to me, so a lot of my projects are driven by the fabric.
Fortunately I've also been a big fan of SWAP - Sewing With A Plan, for many years so often sew mini collections so everything works together and I mostly keep the pattern and colour to tops, with plain bottoms (mostly trousers) and plain (but sometimes bright) layers.

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 18:59:43 PM »
Ooooh I wish my stash looked like that, I've got 2 massive garden storage trunks crammed full in the loft, another one under my sewing table and a pile of fabric on the floor at the side of it, the table is a large farmhouse style table, plus other pieces pushed into wherever I could find a space  :embarrassed:. My haberdashery stash would likely last me what I've got left of this life and probably another two besides  :S.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 19:28:29 PM »
Triumph of hope over experience :D