The Sewing Place

My next Project Universal Cleaning

kowgiirl.up

My next Project Universal Cleaning
« on: December 10, 2023, 18:57:29 PM »
I am sure I posted about this machine before.
This belonged to my Mother. She purchased new on the 1960’s. I’ve used it a few times but it has been sitting neglected for a few years.
While waiting for capacitors for my Bernina 930 I decided to clean this one and put it to use (maybe). I have never removed the top cover and am kicking myself for this neglect!
I am not going to completely dismantle even though I was sorely tempted. I’ve started the cleaning process and what a job it’s going to be. There were dust bunnies all over the place and T-Rex tar pits!

I vow to never, ever let any of my machines get “bad” like this again.

Advert your eyes if this is too painful to look at :( 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The inside :( :(

Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Lachica

Re: My next Project Universal Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 21:59:27 PM »
Yuk! It'll be a rewarding project.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 23:03:13 PM »
I’ve seen a lot worse  :)

realale

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:53:28 AM »
That looks a sturdy machine! Hope the cleaning/degunking goes well.
So many beers, so little time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 08:59:32 AM »
Ooooh, I do love the style of that!  A good clean and it'll be fine!  I rather like cleaning up old machines.

Edit:  Who else read "1960s" and thought well, that's not very old, but then worked it out and realised that's 60 years ago?  :o :S
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:01:31 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

realale

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 10:47:09 AM »
Edit:  Who else read "1960s" and thought well, that's not very old, but then worked it out and realised that's 60 years ago?  :o :S
Yep, me!!
It was the same shock last year when I discovered that 2022 was the same distance from 1970 as 1918 to 1970. When I was growing up 1918 was ancient history!!
So many beers, so little time.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 17:00:13 PM »
Ooooh, I do love the style of that!  A good clean and it'll be fine!  I rather like cleaning up old machines.

I thought the same thing until I did the math  :faints:

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 17:05:00 PM »
I’m moving both forward and backwards with this machine.

The cleaning was coming along well until I decided to take it apart even more. I was just going to oil it up originally but…..

I sure hope I remember how to reassemble lol

Getting better

I couldn’t help myself

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 17:44:53 PM »
Yep, me!!
It was the same shock last year when I discovered that 2022 was the same distance from 1970 as 1918 to 1970. When I was growing up 1918 was ancient history!!
:scream: :faints:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 18:28:51 PM »
And just across the room is my 930. This one the hubby mostly took apart. We are waiting on capacitors from Norway but that is another story LOL

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 19:19:30 PM »
Forget the pain, enjoy showing it you're not to be messed with imagining all the time you're doing it what an amazing treasure you've got there  :thumb:

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 16:30:49 PM »
Clean, oiled and moving. Not sure about sewing as I have realigning to do first of all the thread guides and I might as well clean the tension disks while I am at it. I did run the machine for a couple of minutes and discovered black bits of rubber on the sewing bed. Too tired to investigate last night but will pull the motor to see if the problem is there. I can’t have black goopy bits being tossed out while I am actually sewing.

I did notice that the knee pedal is not very controlled, it is either stop or fast. I think I can pull it off the table wall and use it as a foot control and maybe I will have more control. If I can’t slow it down that way then I better be ready to sew like crazy when I am ready to stitch up the fabric  :rolleyes:

I learned that the red indicator light is referred to as The Dragon Eye by the old sewing machine folks. I thought that was kinda cool.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 16:58:15 PM »

I did notice that the knee pedal is not very controlled, it is either stop or fast.

It's the rheostat that's going in that case. I had that problem with a Singer foot pedal years ago.  You will probably have to order a new part or else switch to foot pedal operation.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 23:08:09 PM »
Updating: The hubby took the knee controller apart and cleaned the contacts and adjusted the arm that makes contact. That gave me more control. Next he ordered a new belt (and a spare) and I installed that and boy did that make a difference! It sews like a dream. I am really loving the flat surface of the table and the sound of the mechanicals inside the machine as it purrs along. I fell in love all over again with this beauty.

This is the finished bear that is going to my hubby for all his help in keeping my old sewing machines going. He's not normally a stuffed animal kinda guy but he appreciates this one as he knows how much work goes in to making one like this and that I only make them for special people.

Here are both bears together. His is on the left.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 04:49:06 AM »
It looks lovely now, and the bears are very cute.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.