The Sewing Place

stretchy and not stretchy together

dafyddcoch

stretchy and not stretchy together
« on: December 10, 2023, 23:02:43 PM »
Hi. I am making a fox scarf (think 'cute imitation stole'   https://www.prettyprudent.com/diy-fox-scarf-with-free-pattern/  ) for my wife as a Christmas pressie and got her to choose the material. Cream/white for the underside and red/brown for the other. Unfortunately, my wife purchased some cream polyester fleece-type material that has no stretch at all and some weird brown stretchy fleece material that is VERY elastic in one way but less so in the other. Can I stich these two materials together to make one garment or will they 'fight' each other? It isn't a problem if I can't use it as it was a ready made blanket/throw so we can just use it on a bed and I'll purchase some more polyester fleece material but in brown/rust/terracotta.

Thanks/Diolch   

Ohsewsimple

Re: stretchy and not stretchy together
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 23:10:02 PM »
It would be easier to deal with if both fabrics were the same.  It’s possible to use both but they won’t behave the same and it could cause problems. 

realale

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 06:48:05 AM »
It's certainly possible to do and I have done it but it is a real pain. I'd avoid if you can and use either both stretch or both non stretch, much easier.  :P
So many beers, so little time.

dafyddcoch

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 13:35:16 PM »
Thanks/Diolch both. As I suspected. I'm seeing that you are all actually 'cloth engineers'. I'm able to bring quite a few transferrable skills over from my past life as a steel-fabricator, builder, etc., and I'm sure it likely works the other way around as well. Working with sheet steel is definitely a transferable skill with uses in working with cloth.

Thanks again.   

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 13:53:19 PM »
@dafyddcoch i think we could envisage the next messages…….'help it doesn’t work!'
And we’ve probably both been there, done that and know better.   :laughing:

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 14:08:03 PM »
Your combination of stretch and non-stretch might work if the non-stretch was on top so providing the majority of the structure but you wouldn't get a tidy finish with the stretch on top, being fox.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 16:52:54 PM »
Could you stabilise the stretchy stuff with something?  I'm thinking stretch interfacing but maybe the hive mind has some better suggestions?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 21:39:14 PM »
I think it might be difficult with it being a fleece type material @HenriettaMaria otherwise that would be an option.