The Sewing Place

My 930

kowgiirl.up

My 930
« on: December 11, 2023, 20:10:53 PM »
I kinda eluded to this in my other thread located here: https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,16823.msg354419.html#msg354419

A couple of weeks ago more or less, I was sitting in my sewingroom handstitching another polar bear for my sweetie pie hubby. All of the sudden I hear sparking and when I turn to look in the direction of the sound I see smoke coming from my Berinia. I am like "What the heck"! This smoking continued for a few minutes but I had quickly unplugged the machine.

I had used the machine just a few minutes before so it was still on. I quickly called the SP/DH to make sure all is alright as far as fire hazard goes then I proceeded to take the covers off to see what in the world was going on.
I couldn't get all the covers off so the SP/DH took over. He discovered that one of the capacitors blew and after searching on the web he found this is very common.

I went to the FB group for Bernina's and found contact info for this guy in Norway that makes 3D parts for (some) vintage machines. He also has capacitors and odds & ends for older machines.

His website: https://3dsewingparts.com/

I was able to communicate with the lady (thru FB messenger) that takes care of that part of the business. She was very responsive and helpful. I placed the order and 2 hours later they had everything ready to ship. I do not know how long it will take for the parts to get to me from Norway but I am in no hurry as I have other projects going and I am sure the holidays will slow everything down.

I will come back hopefully after we have the machine back up and running just to update.

I circled the two capacitors that commonly go "out/fail" and rightfully so considering the age of the machine.

I would like to also add that it's suggested to not replace these capacitors with the same "size" as nowadays there are better ones~ just like everything else these days.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

HenriettaMaria

Re: My 930
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 11:52:45 AM »
I had exactly that happen with my mum's old Singer 522.  The smell was awful so I put it on a low wall in the back garden to stop it stinking the house out and for fear it might smoulder on.  A very nice man in Baldock, 20 minutes away, took it in and replaced the offending part.  He gave me the busted component when I came to collect the machine - it was a right mess.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 12:25:46 PM »
The smell is truly awful.  We always knew what was wrong with a  machine when a customer came in and mentioned the smell! :laughing:

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 16:05:10 PM »
Urgh, yes,the smell of a popped capacitor (the old fashioned cartridge type) is very distinctive. When I worked in an electronics factory I spent a while on repairs. My manager must have had a very poor sense of smell as he thought it was magic that I could quickly diagnose the problem and replace the component without needing a meter to check them out. Of course the advent of surface mounted components put paid to that job. Robots didn't place components the wrong way round.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 16:18:45 PM »
Oh yes, it was pretty stinky alright. I cleaned the daylights out of any place I could reach with some alcohol on soft rags or q tips. I super quickly removed all the stuffed animals that were waiting to be wrapped then got after the machine. The circuit broad was put in a plastic bag and is out in our shop waiting for repairs. Actually I think it is airing out there. It will need cleaning too but I am not sure how to do that safely. I think I will leave that part up to the hubby  0_0

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 19:05:49 PM »
Well the 930 is up and running again. We received the capacitor parts last week and within 20 minutes my hubby had all parts soldered. It took a bit to put the machine back together since it had been a while. It would have gone faster but he and I had "differences" of opinions as to which body panel went on first  :S

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 19:08:37 PM by kowgiirl.up »