The Sewing Place

Twisty trousers

WildAtlanticWay

Twisty trousers
« on: December 13, 2023, 11:23:07 AM »
I made some v. wide leg trousers out of a dark pink stretch velour for a Christmas lunch do. They are elasticated but quite loose at the waist (to allow for scoffing), and when I wore them yesterday, they kept twisting around the crotch area.

If I re-did the waist and tightened the elastic by a couple of inches, do you think this will stop them twisting? Or have I cut them out wrong with the grainline off? I did make them v quickly, so not my best efforts by far.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Twisty trousers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »
If they’re  twisting and always the same way I’d say they’re cut off grain.  I don’t think the loose elastic would make a difference.  They’d just fall or drop.   Do any other trousers do this? Another thought is are you even both sides? If you’re asymmetric that might have an effect.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 12:20:29 PM »
Thank you @Ohsewsimple

Yes, I suspect poor cutting out on my part. No other trousers I’ve made have ever done this although it was a new pattern, but I think it was me rather than the pattern and I should have been more careful.

Lesson learnt!! 😂

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 13:21:29 PM »
Did you make the SA Palazzo pants @WildAtlanticWay? I'd agree with @Ohsewsimple that it must be the grain. I've made 3 pairs and not had a twisting issue. I've had to alter elastic (used a different type so fit wasn't the same) but that didn't change anything else.

They aren't too long in the crotch or too high waisted are they? Maybe turning the elastic over just to see how they hang may help.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 17:00:54 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay using stretch for trousers can be a challenge because you have a long length to ensure is on the straight grain.  Well, probably not on me, I’m only 5ft tall  :laughing:
But you get my drift.  I’ve had knits where I’ve had to be particularly careful about laying out because they’ve had a pattern on which would have screamed 'offgrain' if I’d got it wrong.  So I have marked certain points on the knit.  It might be worth taking a bit of time and trying to mark the grain on the wrong side before cutting out a knit next time.  I’d use chalk. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 19:09:56 PM »
If they are velour, could it be the pile pulling them one way and thus twisting?

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
I agree with @Bodgeitandscarper  it's likely the fabric.

Woven velour can have the same problem as striped tee shirt fabric; if you cut straight to the grain the stripes are not horizontal, if you cut with the stripes the side seams twist.  You have likely done the equivalent of cutting with the stripes.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.