The Sewing Place

Simple gathered dress for a child

Ellabella

Simple gathered dress for a child
« on: December 13, 2023, 11:57:50 AM »
I want to make my GD a simple gathered dress similar to this https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/product/tuc143233750
I have some awesome Wednesday Addams fabric she will adore.
I have a basic long sleeved tee shirt pattern that fits well so intend to just add a gathered skirt.
Is there any magic ratio for calculating the width of the gathered part or am I overthinking this as usual?

HenriettaMaria

Re: Simple gathered dress for a child
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 12:03:11 PM »
I would say, it depends: the weight of the fabric and how much fullness you want will govern things.  I would do a measured length of 5mm running stitch in a similar fabric and draw it up until you like it.  Then measure the length of the gathered section and compare with the original length to give a multiple for the width you need when cutting out.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 12:08:12 PM »
The one in the picture looks to be about 2:1. I don't think I'd do it any less than that and it wouldn't need to be any more than 3:1.

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 13:09:17 PM »
I agree with Greybird, 2:1 would be about right. If you have too much gathered jersey it would be bulky and may drag the bodice down.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 16:03:03 PM »
2:1 it is then. I’ll let you know how I get on.  :thumb:

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 10:21:50 AM »
Looking at the picture I would say it's only about 1.5:1.  There isn't much much flare in that dress.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 16:50:51 PM »
Looking at the pic it doesn't look like there's much width around the hem area, unless you're going to make it quite short I'd be inclined to do double width and tack it to the bodice before you machine it and see how much stride room she's got, if it's too much you can always take some away from the sides without too much frustration for you. That's all saying you don't want to make it as a surprise for her  ::thinks::