The Sewing Place

Useful sewing aids ideal for Christmas gifts and there is just time to get these

Elnnina

I received my latest Threads magazine yesterday, and in this there were loads of ideas for Christmas gifts, and one in particular is from the UK, and comes under the name of  Jenerates (Jen Hogg) she was in the GBSB of 2019, and has set up her own business and there are some lovely sewing aids, the one shown in Threads was  Seam Circles, these are small different sized wooden circles all different measurements, and you can place these against your pattern edge, put a pencil through the central hole and then run the wooden disc up along your pattern - the discs are from a 1/4" seam allowance to 2" and these discs are available either in metric or imperial.  Jen has also some other little sewing aids available as well as aids for knitting.  Her details are jenhogg.co.uk  (whilst I couldn't get this to work initially I eventually just typed in her name and up came Jenerates Jen Hogg).

I think this is going to solve a problem I have had with my husband asking me what do I want for Christmas   and to be honest I couldn't think of anything, and as I am drafting a lot of my own patterns lately I think I have now found the answer to marking in my seam allowances as I have tended to go down from the usual 5/8" to 3/8" and then overlocked these together and pressed to one side and for what I have been making this smaller seam allowance on my particular rather large size has proved to be beneficial.

Celia

They look really interesting and nice to see something available in the UK

Ouryve

Ooh, she does have a lovely range, now.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Hideout Hen

This looks interesting. Has anyone used one?
It's a set of rulers for accurately measuring the body.
measuring device
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Elnnina

Yes I have the Hurth Rulers, only I tend to forget that I have them as they are not with the normal rulers.  I bought mine direct from a lady called Gabrielle Stanley over near Reading back in 2017 and I believe she has/had an Etsy shop here in the UK.  The person on TSP who has/had them and used them is Morgan - so I am sure she could tell you a lot more about these.

Ohsewsimple

Yes I’ve got the Hurth Rulers.  Not used too much as most of my drafting is from patterns I already have.  But I have found them useful when used for things like armhole depth.  Easier than trying to use an actual ruler. 

@Elnnina gosh I remember Gabrielle.  I was on a group she was part of many years ago now.