The Sewing Place

Looking for a new blouse pattern.

Lemon Syllabub

Looking for a new blouse pattern.
« on: December 15, 2023, 16:50:41 PM »
In the past I’ve only made shirts so I thought it would be nice to have a go at sewing a different style of top.  :)

I’ve found this pattern that I thought looks interesting. The gathers on the back and sides go into the collar band which is something I’ve never sewn before.

And in her diary @Diane is making one I really like the look of so I'll be reading with interest to see her views on that pattern.

I was wondering if you lovely lot have any other suggestions for blouses I could try.

The only criteria I have is that it must be a relaxed fit!  :rolleyes: Not that I have any wobbly bits I'd like to conceal or anything ......

Thanks for your help.

Ploshkin

Re: Looking for a new blouse pattern.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 17:21:09 PM »
I also mostly wear /make shirts.  I recently used the Atelier Jupe Frida blouse pattern and I really like it.
Life's too short for ironing.

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 17:55:14 PM »
Some years ago I made a  very similar blouse but it had pleats rather than gathers, and I wore it until it fell apart.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 13:48:50 PM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 18:02:54 PM »
I have the atelier Jupe Frida, too, though I've not got around to making it.

I don't know how you're built, @Lemon Syllabub but I find gathered into the neck styles unflattering on myself as there is just too much fabric where I don't need it. I'm far from skinny but I am quite slightly built and they make me look enormous! I much prefer a nice tidy yoke, at least at the back and any volume to come from there.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 18:38:36 PM »
@Ploshkin the frida blouse looks really nice. That's going on the list.  :thumb:

@Ouryve I see what you mean. Perhaps gathers may be too much.

@So Chic Perhaps pleats would be the way to go.

All very helpful. Thank you.  :)

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 19:24:18 PM »
Why not take a look at www.thefoldline.com. You can search their pattern database by women - tops and then there are further filters for types of tops such as blouses, top styles such as relaxed fit and top details.

Ros

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 10:20:57 AM »
If you like gathers into a straight yoke the the Merchant and Mills Omile is certainly an option with volume (I made it in light viscose to make sure it draped).

I like the square neck of the Jennifer Lauren Aisling too, and that gives the option of buttons or pullover and has cup sizes.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 16:30:18 PM »
@Puzzler thank you, that's a great idea.

@Ros Thank you. More blouses for my list.  :)