The Sewing Place

What needles?

deetee

What needles?
« on: December 18, 2023, 12:49:20 PM »
Just bought a Brother A16 and wonder if anyone can help with needle choice for this fabric pls

Sorry @deetee have had to remove your link to Woodland Farics. You need to have been a member for 2 weeks and have made 25 posts before inserting links, as you signed up to in the membership agreement.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 13:53:46 PM by Greybird »

Ouryve

Re: What needles?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 13:01:20 PM »
I'd start with a fairly heavy jeans needle and sew slowly. You can get nonstick needles that might work with the friction from the coating.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

deetee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 13:05:00 PM »
I'd start with a fairly heavy jeans needle and sew slowly. You can get nonstick needles that might work with the friction from the coating.

New to this...what size needles...90/14 ok?

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 13:43:28 PM »
If you Google the Schmetz site there is a lot of information re what type and size needles to use for whatever fabric you are using.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 10:40:43 AM »
Having a chart will help immensely considering that camo fabrics run the range from tissue thin to you can make a tent and sleep under it.

Needles need to have 2 pieces of information from you based on fabric: size, type

The way I buy this fabric I normally get oz, so I tend to base the needle size on that fabric weight.  Saying that, most of what I sew is medium weight (sateen, satin, nylon, light twill) of 5-12 OZ and I use a 12, 14 or 16 needle.  This is dependent on WHAT I am sewing...satin and lighter nylons tend to use a 12, and 16 is for the heaviest of the fabrics.  12 and 14 do most of what I need, since most of the fabrics I use are between 6-9 oz (twill, stiffer bridal satins).

Anything over 12 oz (which is about a medium weight jean) is usually a 16 or 18 needle.  Again, this is dependent on the actual fabric...I have some I use a 26, but I am aware of the brand and type of fabric that uses this and it is really freaking rare in the camo end (it is one ready to wear manufacturer, and only needed for zipper replacement in 3 items: jacket, overalls and one style of jean...the rest can use a 21.)

As to type...universal, ball point, sharp, jean and microtex are the most common and they each have their own uses.

Universal is a basic every day sad, beige mommy type.  Works on most everything.
Ball Point is for jersey and knits.
Jean is for denim and thicker materials (basically anything that is as heavy as a pair of jeans)
Microtex is a weird needle.  Silks, some microfibers and coated fabrics MAY need this type of needle.  It is a sharp needle, with a small tip and scarf and leaves smaller holes.  It also needs to be changed more often.

Size is the first thing, then type.  It is hard to say on this fabric because there is a lot of factors to take in (and I can't see the actual fabric you're asking about).  Thread size also plays a role; the thicker the thread the bigger the needle. 

Having a basic chart on size and type will help you out more then us here can and on something I would use a size 18 jean, someone else would use a size 16 sharp.

deetee

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 17:54:49 PM »
Having a chart will help immensely considering that camo fabrics run the range from tissue thin to you can make a tent and sleep under it.

Needles need to have 2 pieces of information from you based on fabric: size, type

The way I buy this fabric I normally get oz, so I tend to base the needle size on that fabric weight.  Saying that, most of what I sew is medium weight (sateen, satin, nylon, light twill) of 5-12 OZ and I use a 12, 14 or 16 needle.  This is dependent on WHAT I am sewing...satin and lighter nylons tend to use a 12, and 16 is for the heaviest of the fabrics.  12 and 14 do most of what I need, since most of the fabrics I use are between 6-9 oz (twill, stiffer bridal satins).

Anything over 12 oz (which is about a medium weight jean) is usually a 16 or 18 needle.  Again, this is dependent on the actual fabric...I have some I use a 26, but I am aware of the brand and type of fabric that uses this and it is really freaking rare in the camo end (it is one ready to wear manufacturer, and only needed for zipper replacement in 3 items: jacket, overalls and one style of jean...the rest can use a 21.)

As to type...universal, ball point, sharp, jean and microtex are the most common and they each have their own uses.

Universal is a basic every day sad, beige mommy type.  Works on most everything.
Ball Point is for jersey and knits.
Jean is for denim and thicker materials (basically anything that is as heavy as a pair of jeans)
Microtex is a weird needle.  Silks, some microfibers and coated fabrics MAY need this type of needle.  It is a sharp needle, with a small tip and scarf and leaves smaller holes.  It also needs to be changed more often.

Size is the first thing, then type.  It is hard to say on this fabric because there is a lot of factors to take in (and I can't see the actual fabric you're asking about).  Thread size also plays a role; the thicker the thread the bigger the needle. 

Having a basic chart on size and type will help you out more then us here can and on something I would use a size 18 jean, someone else would use a size 16 sharp.

I bought some 100/16 for jean/denim and will use them on 7oz cordura I bought

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 21:25:10 PM »
Just bought a Brother A16 and wonder if anyone can help with needle choice for this fabric pls

Sorry @deetee have had to remove your link to Woodland Farics. You need to have been a member for 2 weeks and have made 25 posts before inserting links, as you signed up to in the membership agreement.

I'd suggest 100's or 110's, don't be tempted to buy cheap needles, they'll cost you more than good ones like schmetz in the end.

deetee

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 22:14:31 PM »

I'd suggest 100's or 110's, don't be tempted to buy cheap needles, they'll cost you more than good ones like schmetz in the end.

Schmetz are the ones I got - thanks

classical retro

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 20:20:51 PM »
Having been a woven needle, one size needle only user for many, many years, I always need to look up which needle to use and when.  I'm getting better, but I found this article and printed out the needle chart at the end to put with my needle collection.

I've learnt to hear when my needle needs replacing, but still need to work out in my head why universal needles can't be used for everything, but that will come with time. Enjoy.

CR :angel:

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 16:15:53 PM »
I think I’ve mentioned before that my elderly NDN only had one needle which was probably about 35/40 years old that she used to sharpen when it became blunt.  She thought I was very extravagant concerning needles, also my MiL only ever used a size 14 for everything but only changed if they broke.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up