The Sewing Place

Ideas for 2024 contests and / or sewalongs?

SewRuthieSews

Ideas for 2024 contests and / or sewalongs?
« on: December 19, 2023, 12:22:06 PM »
Hiya Folks, so I can get the contest list ready to debut in January I'm asking for your ideas here.

As per last year we'll have the contest run for 2 months, so there will be 6 of them.

Pantone colour of the year is Peach Fuzz (looks like good old 80s peach to me, but hey what do I know?) not really doing it for me TBH, but if others would like it could be one of the contests. Let me have your thoughts.

This year we had
Jan & Feb - Accessories
Sew, knit, crochet or craft (e.g. leather work) an accessory, for example bag, wallet, hat, scarf, gloves etc

Mar & Apr - Pantone Colour of the Year 2023
Sew, knit, crochet or craft an item based on the Pantone Colour of the Year 2023 - Viva Magenta.
The colour can be interpreted broadly in the pink, burgundy, purple colour family, and can be a colour within a print, or just used as a small accent e.g. topstitching.

May & June - UFOs (Un Finished Object)
For this one you need to find a sewing (or other craft) project which you have started but not finished. We can help each other if you've got stuck on how to progress.

July & Aug - Dots n Spots
Sew an item which uses fabric which has dots on it, this can be a classic regular Polka dot fabric, or something a bit more abstract. You can use multiple fabrics.

Sep & Oct - Autumn Capsule Wardrobe
Sew 2 or 3 garments which work together to make an outfit

Nov & Dec - Festive Fun
Sew, knit or craft items for festive clothing, decorations or gifts
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:41:01 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Ouryve

Re: Ideas for 2024 contests?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 12:33:57 PM »
I think the peach fuzz would be more suited as a summer into autumn colour.

One idea that got shelved, last year, as there was too much going on, was doing something for the first time. Like the UFO category, I think there could be something for everyone in that one.

It's a summer Olympics year and they will be taking place in Paris so either the event or France, or the whole kit and caboodle could be a theme.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 15:53:54 PM »
I agree with @Ouryve , about the Olympic theme, how about  shorts, leggings, walking trousers or other things for exercise?
I don't do peach either !
How about florals for spring? Groundbreaking ( thank you Meryl Streep).
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 16:09:09 PM »
I think the Autumn Capsule Wardrobe is always a good one to go with, i was a bit late with this years but i'd definitely be up for it next Autumn.

I like the sound of the "exercise wear" theme  :thumb:

The UFO is always a dead cert  :rolleyes: I think most of us have something that's unfinished, i know i do  :laughing:

How about a Lingerie theme, i'd like to make a cotton dressing gown or maybe some PJ's

A something for the "home" theme, like a wall hanging, carrier bag holder, placemats, cushion etc

Accessories theme, maybe a purse or wallet, bag etc I know we had it this year but it's still a good one.

I'm not a fan of "Peach" either  :x

Thankyou for organising all these themes @SewRuthieSews
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 17:19:49 PM »
Lots of good ideas here. I haven't entered any this year but have in previous years. I'm not keen on peach colour either. I like @Ouryve's Olympic idea.

Something for the home.
Something recycled.
Something for a child.
Something you've never attempted before.

Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 17:35:05 PM »
My thought about the Olympic theme was it can be quite wide to encompass both darksiders and lightsiders. So not just a plethora of lycra but kit bags, cycle accessories or even something decorative along the theme. Someone could even crochet the Eiffel tower with the Olympic rings on top, if thst took their fancy  :P
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

realale

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 19:16:55 PM »
Someone could even crochet the Eiffel tower with the Olympic rings on top, if thst took their fancy  :P
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 19:54:58 PM »
quote from Ouryve .
Someone could even crochet the Eiffel tower with the Olympic rings
on top,
I used to have a book of unusual hobbies.  Including 'home cloning for beginners' and 
'knit a 3D Mona  Lisa'.  Any takers?

Yes, something went wrong with my quoting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 22:42:34 PM by SewRuthieSews »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 13:22:11 PM »
Not sure if this would fit into this thread @SewRuthieSews but I was tempted to suggest it as a 'sewalong' in the summer after seeing it on the Instagram Sewover50 account as one of their sewalongs. I think it was for the month of June and the topic was 'Sew what you need for June' (subsitute any month).  It could be knitting as well.

It could be anything, as maybe you are going away and need T shirts or shorts, or maybe there's a wedding or something that you need a posh frock or jacket for, maybe a bag for a trip somewhere?

Just a thought and maybe it could run every month or every other month whichever works best.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 23:13:46 PM »
The color of the year is one of my staples, lol.

I'm not going to be much help. I have to make things like an 1800s riding habit since I am doing a side saddle on a neighbor's horse for expo (they all ride western...which I will until Rosie is 6 or I lose 70 lbs and force my mini mule to do it, which she would probably like) and fashionable glamping gear because I am outdoors all the time and dressing down depresses me.

Ros

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 08:39:58 AM »
As the colour of the year may not be that popular this, could it be a bonus challenge i.e. if you do any of the contests in that colour? Vote at year end? Anyone doing a full capsule in Peach Fuzz might be a worthy winner in my book. Like the "Sew New" category suggested and sports/Olympic theme. Only other thoughts I had would be  stash related one -could be pattern, fabric,wool etc. -you've had it for a while but not got round using it.  Second vague thought was something around learning about/showcasing machine functions we don't use much (ruffler feet, binders, obscure stitches etc).

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 09:26:40 AM »
I like @Ros idea of using underused feet. I intended to try the ruffler that came with the 221 and there are a few other gadgets to try.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 09:56:47 AM »
My thought about the Olympic theme was it can be quite wide to encompass both darksiders and lightsiders. So not just a plethora of lycra but kit bags, cycle accessories or even something decorative along the theme. Someone could even crochet the Eiffel tower with the Olympic rings on top, if thst took their fancy  :P
31st March will be the 135th anniversary of the completion of the Eiffel tower.

On looking at an anniveraries website I see that several famous artists have 80 year death anniversaries in 2024:
Edvard Munch - 23 January
Piet Mondrian - 1st February
Wassilly Kandinsky - 12 December

Mondrian type designs would lend themselves well to all sorts of things, especially for the dark side, but I remember back in the 60s my sister had a colour blocked dress which she thought was the bees knees until my uncle said something about not having enough material to make it all the same colour! :devil: :angry:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 09:31:40 AM »
Any more ideas for the contests you'd like to participate in during 2024?

Puzzler

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 12:26:45 PM »
I was reading an article online about trends for 2024.

Polka dots (we already had a dots and spots contest)
Metallics
Knitwear
Bows and ribbons
Snowflake patterns
Colour: Cherry red
Short shorts (suspect most of us will not be hankering after a pair of these)

I generally don’t manage to participate in much but I am content to cheer from the sidelines.