The Sewing Place

Cone to spool?

deetee

Cone to spool?
« on: December 19, 2023, 17:58:03 PM »
I have a large cone of bonded nylon thread for my projects. Can anyone recommend any empty spools to put it on. The local sewing shop gave me an empty Gutermann spool which was great of them and that will do for now, but would like to fill a few more if possible. Has to fit a Brother A16 - thanks

Ouryve

Re: Cone to spool?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 18:03:16 PM »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

deetee

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 18:14:35 PM »

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 19:31:39 PM »
Just put it in a mug behind the machine. Drunk the yea first though.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

realale

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 19:40:38 PM »
If you put it in a mug behind your machine slip a large safety pin over the spool holder on the machine and thread the thread through the circle at the bottom of the safety pin, that keeps it more in line with the thread path.
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 09:15:40 AM »
I sometimes use cones with my normal sewing machine, I have several different thread stands including ones like @Ouryve linked to.

Hideout Hen

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »
I would say I mostly use cones with my normal sewing machine.
I use a stand or sometimes I drag the thread across from my industrial machine stand.  :)
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 10:20:49 AM »
I went a bit mad on large cones so have three holders including a very nice wooden one that sits behind my overlocker.  I seem to remember trying to use particularly large commercial cone on my sewing machine and starting off with a large mug that had the thread going over my anglepoise light and into my Pfaff's two spool additional holder.  Looked a bit daft but it did work and fortunately never had to use that colour again.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 08:06:54 AM »
Correct thread tension is very important when sewing (just like guitar strings!), and so I’d be wary of trying to wind your thread onto a spool by hand. The diy mug cone holder system should work fine for now, so I’d also recommend doing that. 

deetee

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 17:02:35 PM »
I just bought one of these...not high quality but should do the job - thanks all

--- modified to remove the links and replace with pictures.

** @deetee You need to have been a member for at least 2 weeks and made at least 25 posts before you start posting links
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 18:07:33 PM by SewRuthieSews »

deetee

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 18:35:50 PM »
I just bought one of these...not high quality but should do the job - thanks all

--- modified to remove the links and replace with pictures.

** @deetee You need to have been a member for at least 2 weeks and made at least 25 posts before you start posting links

I'm a paid member

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 20:33:24 PM »
@deetee That stand is fine, I use one like that for my embroidery machine.

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 21:43:49 PM »
You can post pics but not urls @deetee but I suspect you're not far off your 25 posts, anyhow :)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

deetee

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 21:52:31 PM »
You can post pics but not urls @deetee but I suspect you're not far off your 25 posts, anyhow :)

Well I'm only 1 off now  :D

Kad

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 07:48:04 AM »

25 posts and2 weeks membership!
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.