The Sewing Place

Fabric Hole Punch

deetee

Fabric Hole Punch
« on: December 26, 2023, 14:07:21 PM »
Any recommendations for a tool to put a hole in fabric, to fit some snap on plastic grommets. Fabric camo and is quite thin...not sure what it is made from.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lachica

Re: Fabric Hole Punch
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 14:15:30 PM »
I have a hand punch, a bit like big pliers. If you live anywhere near me you're welcome to use it
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

deetee

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 14:30:48 PM »
I have a hand punch, a bit like big pliers. If you live anywhere near me you're welcome to use it

Nowhere near you, but will it make 12-14mm holes? If so do you have a link to it - thanks
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 15:12:12 PM by deetee »

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 14:47:44 PM »
I have one of these which I have used for putting in 20mm grommets.  This one isn't available at the moment, but I expect there are others that are.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 15:35:03 PM »
@deetee mines nowhere near that big. Acorn's link is probably your best bet - unless you only need one or two holes, in which case I'd cut with scissors.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 16:12:46 PM »
I was going to suggest a Japanese screw punch, but then I realised it won't do holes that big I don't think.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 20:24:38 PM »
I use a classic leather punch with the rotating head which gives you different size holes.  I use a lot of snaps and it has cut a clean hole in all types of fabric.
You could sandwich your bit between 2 bits of cotton fabric to be sure of a clean cut.
ETA
I've just realised that you said 12 - 14mm holes.  If I was doing that I would make the biggest hole I could with the punch then enlarge it with small, sharp, pointed scissors.  I did that for eyelets on a canvas bag and it worked just fine.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 20:28:55 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 11:42:01 AM »
There are also handheld leather punches that you strike with a mallet.  They come in a greater variety of sizes. This type might be available in a size you need.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 11:51:20 AM »
Would a tailors' awl do the trick?  This looks like a fairly open weave so it might.  It has the benefit of not cutting the warp or weft threads.  Having made the hole you may need to whip the edges to keep the hole open.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 12:50:06 PM »
@deetee If you haven't got anything yet, I have some ZYT pliers - linky - you can then get all sorts of dies for hole cutting, grommet setting, rivet pressing, et etc.