The Sewing Place

Table protection

Flobear

Table protection
« on: December 31, 2023, 10:53:45 AM »
I have been a Very Good Girl and used the search facility but have only found one comment about the topic of table protection - which happens to be what I currently use.  It doesn't help that the search facility will also include words with 'table' in them - like suitable, inevitable, etc  :[

Any'ow, I would like to canvass some opinions on what I could use to protect my dining room table when it's being used as a temporary sewing table. 

It could be something that stays permanently on there as I always have a tablecloth on it (except when sewing) or something removable that can be folded or rolled for storage. It can't be anything that will slip off the table too easily nor anything that will be caught up with pins.

Your experiences and suggestions welcome, dear TSPeeps.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Greybird

Re: Table protection
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 11:06:55 AM »
Since painting my dining room table I have been very careless about covering it. However, when I do cover it, I have found that the best solution is plasticised fabric (like old fashioned wipe-clean tablecloths). Better if you can find a plain one because I found that the pattern showed through lighter fabrics and was distracting when pattern matching. I do have proper table protector pieces which I can use and its OK but the plasticised is better.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 11:42:28 AM »
Yes I use a wipe clean tablecloth (of the sort you can get in Dunelm)

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
When I got my new Janome a couple of years ago I made a mat for the machine to sit on using leftover fabrics and sandwiched it with a piece of fleece blanket and quilted it very amateurishly  0_0
I can slide the machine away from me without damaging the table which is a 200 year old mahogany gate leg one.
Still learning

fajita

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 12:07:03 PM »
I cut up a Yoga mat (in an 'orrible shade of pink, (Thank you Lidl) for both The Splurgess and Elvistoo.

Does excellent duty in muffling the sound of E2 when I used to use him on my wooden Boombox table.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 12:51:06 PM »
I use Bulgomme, there are various suggestions in the link below. I have a full table one (shaped as the table is oval) that I use under a tablecloth whenever we use the table and I have a smaller rectangle when I'm just using my coverstitch machine or my main one if I need it downstairs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bulgomme+table+protector+uk&oq=bulgomme&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i512l5j0i30l4.4585j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As @Silver Rose says it's good to be able to just move the machine a little bit if you need to.

I can remember having the brown type that @fajita has on our table at home as a child. The bulgomme is less bulky and rolls up when not in use.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
The Bulgomme is the table protector I have. Mine is also an oval table and I have a D shaped piece for each end and another small rectangle for when the extra leaf is in. For sewing, however, I find that the plasticised stuff is more slippery for moving fabric around.

Kad

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 12:59:04 PM »
I use the same as @Helen M both on the dining table and as a smaller piece under the overlocker and sewing machine, although I didn't know that is what it's called. Got mine from Empress Mills, by the metre.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 13:50:10 PM »
Like @fajita I've got a heavy duty table protector with a felt backing.  We’ve had it for well over 25 years and it’s still good.  Our dining table is an expensive Danish one  and still looks immaculate.  Nowadays I only use the protector if the grandsons are coming.   :)   Although it’s useful if I need to do things like wrapping presents etc. 

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 14:03:53 PM »
Just to add any offcuts from the bulgomme make good mats, cut to size, for indoor plant holders that otherwise would scatch a windowsill.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 14:49:25 PM »
I use bulgomme (didn't know that that is what it's called) under the tablecloth on the dining table but I usually put it felt side down; rubber side down for any length of time will leave marks from the pattern on a polished surface.  However, if you need it to be non-slip it does have to be robber side down.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 14:58:53 PM »
I always use it felt side down.

I've had 2 coverings over probably 25 years, I think I needed a larger one for the extended table, and the first one was not rubbery at all. After a while it did crack but it wouldn't have left any marks on the table. I'm guessing you can only get the 'rubbery' feel one now.

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2023, 17:55:57 PM »
Well, thank you TSPeeps for a variety of suggestions, delivered so promptly!

I believe the stuff I have is the Bulgomme and it's satisfactory though will ruck up and slither about when I'm wrestling a quilt through the machine. Also, it only covers the table when closed and leaves a naked end when the centre leaf is out.

Anyway, thanks again for points to ponder  ::thinks::
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!