The Sewing Place

New Member - First Post

Anne Warren

New Member - First Post
« on: January 05, 2024, 16:59:58 PM »
Hello All.  Wanted to introduce myself -- Anne Warren from Central Scotland.  A person who apparently can't stop buying sewing machines and trying to come up with a master plan for which to keep and which are possibly expendable.  It's an undoubted addiction but there's only so much space in the house and it's time to have a talk with myself.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 17:06:24 PM by Anne Warren »
Singer 201K; Singer 221K; Singer 222K; Singer 99 handcrank; Bernina Activa 140; Janome 8077. :)

Silver Rose

Re: New Member - First Post
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 17:17:22 PM »
Hello @Anne Warren and welcome to TSP  I have only got 2 sewing machines but you are in good company as many members here have several machines of all types. What sort of sewing do you enjoy? Have fun exploring the site.
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 17:40:41 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 17:44:50 PM »
Welcome, @Anne Warren

You’ve come to the wrong place if you’re hoping to be talked out of accumulating new machines  :devil:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 18:12:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
I won't be much help as I believe in ...one sewist = one machine = one project at a time = zero mess and zero waste  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Anne Warren

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 18:20:24 PM »
Hello Silver Rose,  In the past I've made and altered clothing.  Our area of Scotland has several very active quilting groups and I'd like to join one.   I'm enthusiastic but inexperienced compared with the other ladies. 

I've devoted a spare bedroom to sewing.  And there are a number of machines in there, including a Bernina Activa 140 and a Janome 8077 which I considered "practical" purchases.  But my focus has turned to vintage machines. I acquired a Singer 99 handcrank, a Singer 221K and 201K, all in lovely condition.  I've got an antique Singer 66K Lotus that should be renovated.  And I've just bought a near-mint Singer 222K which I plan to take to quilting meetings.  I look around the room and it's just full of equipment -- but what's expendable?  So far, I have no answer. 

Singer 201K; Singer 221K; Singer 222K; Singer 99 handcrank; Bernina Activa 140; Janome 8077. :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 19:17:28 PM »
It's great you've managed to find us @Anne Warren, a lot of us love vintage machines, myself I've got quite a few. I can't remember off the top of my head how many I've got without going upstairs to have a look that's how bad it's got all ranging from around the 1940's up to 2010, I hate the later one but it has its uses!
We've got a good quilters section we call the "dark side" where you'll find loads of help if or when you need it.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 19:21:56 PM »
Nice to see you but as others have said don’t expect much help with your addiction  :laughing:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 19:26:39 PM »
Welcome to TSP. 
there are worse addictions! :)

Diane

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 19:29:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
I won't be much help as I believe in ...one sewist = one machine = one project at a time = zero mess and zero waste  :thumb:

@Anne Warren Don't believe a word of this , you may be one sewist but have as many machines as you can fit in your house, if you get fed up with a project, move on and come back to it later, we all have UFO, who cares about the mess and there's usually plenty of waste, oh and make sure you have a big huge stash of fabric  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 19:30:53 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too - I may just have a few machines... maybe... well, probably.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 19:37:14 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP

You will soon learn that our lovely @Lowena is a minimalist, but she is in the minority here.  She's also a darksider only which means that she doesn't make garments and thererfore does not see that different machines have different functions. 

If you are happy with the machines you have then what's the problem with having multiples.  If you are not then it's time to cull them a bit.

We are a nosey lot, do please tell us what machines you have.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 19:56:23 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too. Nobody has mentioned it yet but we do like pics.....  :P
 :pics:
So many beers, so little time.

Anne Warren

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 20:09:08 PM »
As I've now put on my profile, the machines I've been using include a Singer 201K, Singer 221 K, Bernina Activa 140, Janome 8077, Singer 99 [handcrank]. 

And there's a Singer Lotus 66K [1917] that's needing renovation.  It's the only one that I'd consider "expendable" at the moment because it's not usable until restored.  However, it's in great condition for the age, needs a check-over, clean-up and footplate, but was in use up until last year.  I look at those gorgeous decals and my resolve to pass it along just fades. 

Just bought a Singer 222K that will be delivered tomorrow and it's set me wondering if I have some odd obssession here.  BUT the 222K will do what none of the others does with the free arm and free motion.  As I consider each one -- well we tend to lose electrics up here in Winter and nothing wrong with a handcrank Singer 99.  The 201K, total reliability, will sew anything.  I'm teaching someone on the 221K now. 

So I look to the Bernina, that runs off a transformer and think that could be one to eliminate, however, it's got such a marvelous slow-start.  Love it's roll-and-shell hemmer.  Just a Rolls-Royce-feeling machine that's run like a top for 24 years. 

The Janome has auto-thread, can operate without the foot controller and does simple buttonholes. I realise it's probably just the habits you form that make it convenient to have a room-full but, once you're hooked uh-oh.  So here I am talking myself into ALL of them again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 20:13:37 PM by Anne Warren »

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 20:38:00 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Anne Warren .

If you hang around here you'll find that you acquire / do all sorts of things that you didn't expect!

My sister, who is also a member of this forum (Ploshkin) persuaded me to hang on to my 1980s Bernina when I bought a Pfaff and I'm so glad I did. As you say, an older Bernina is like a Rolls Royce. And I have recently bought a Brother embroidery machine (one previous careful owner).

I didn't 'do' quilting when I arrived here, only joined for help with my overlocker but now...

Have fun. Ask questions. Show us your stuff!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!