The Sewing Place

2024 Jeans Sew Along

SewRuthieSews

2024 Jeans Sew Along
« on: January 06, 2024, 09:45:00 AM »
On @realale s diary we got into a discussion on jeans sewing

@Ouryve @Lemon Syllabub @Nevis5 were interested in this topic, so here's a sewalong.

SewRuthieSews

Re: 2024 Jeans Sew Along
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 09:58:03 AM »
I've discovered the Itch To Stitch Mountain View Jeans, and with a bit of tweaking and denim of the right stretch have a very comfortable pair of jeans which I love wearing. They are pull ons with elastic in the waist, but have all the pockets and topstitching of normal jeans, Its a win for me.

I find non stretch woven fabrics not very comfortable unless they are quite loose, so have given up on non stretch jeans. However I know some people absolutely love them.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 10:12:04 AM »
I bought a jeans pattern last year and this might be the incentive I need to fish it out and DO something with it   :sew:

Choosing clothing fabrics online is very difficult as it's important to feel the weight and the drape so I hope there are some people ready with advice.

Also, I don't have a previously-drafted crotch  :ninja: so that is something I will have to tackle!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:18:59 AM »
Cheers @SewRuthieSews  :)
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 11:43:04 AM »
@SewRuthieSews you are good! I was hoping you'd suggest a sewalong.  :hug:

I'd like to learn how to fit jeans. Fitting tops makes perfect sense to me but I can't get my head around how to fit a crotch.  :faints:

Also as you and @Flobear have mentioned different weight/amount of stretch denims affect the fit!  :faints: :faints: :faints:

I'm definitely in. Providing we can go VERRRRRY slowly! :laughing:

realale

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 11:46:33 AM »
I like this idea!!
I'm sewing McCalls 8162 at the moment. I tried the dungarees and they weren't for me so I'm now trying just the jeans part.
I too love the ITS Mountain View jeans and wear them a lot.
I'm trying to use up fabric so non stretch is being used. Not my favourite for jeans but hey ho, its using up fabric so I'll survive.
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 12:31:34 PM »
This will be an ongoing thing for me, @Lemon Syllabub so I am not anticipating any set timescale. We all have busy lives and different priorities.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

realale

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 14:03:16 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
This shows why one shape crotch doesn't fit all!!

realale

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 14:12:02 PM »
This is a good article to read here'
This is the method I used.

Celia

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 14:18:51 PM »
I have always fancied making jeans but ???????  Maybe you will inspire me

I think I have a pattern or two   Off to look

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 14:45:03 PM »
@Ouryve Yes, I'd struggle with a timescale. I want to understand what I'm doing and I think the older I get the slower on the uptake I become :o

Having said that I'm looking forward to a sewalong so all those brilliant, talented sewing peeps can show us how it's done.  :dance:

@realale Wow! Thanks for that article and the diagram. I know which Silhouette I'd prefer to be!  :laughing: Unfortunately I can see which one I am! Only perhaps with a bigger tummy.  :boohoo:

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 14:48:34 PM »
I stopped wearing jeans when I lived in Cornwall and saw coachloads of "oldies" in jeans,fleeces and white trainers descend on St Ives every Autumn . When I did wear them I found Next and Sainsbury's to be excellent fits.
Who knew crotches could be so variable  :laughing:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 16:40:41 PM »
I'm guilty of jeans and white trainers, @Lowena but you won't see me near a fleece. I can't stand touching the stuff!

That article has reminded me that I have a flexible ruler, somewhere, @realale. Somewhere  ::thinks::

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am not completely new to making jeans, albeit cords. I attempted  pair of Ginger jeans, about 2 years ago, and really enjoyed putting them together. They hit several problems, though.

• I cut them out in November or December and sewed them in February. I didn't gain any weight over that Christmas - it had been stable since the previous summer - but hadn't banked on how much and how rapidly my shape would actually change at some random point post menopause.
  • I often suffered with bloating, now mostly alleviated by removing gluten from my diet, which always made measuring unpredictable for me.
  • I hadn't accounted sufficiently for the amount of stretch in the cord.
  • I hadn't quite mastered fitting over my belly or the fact that a pattern that says it's high rise isn't necessarily particularly high rise on me.
The result is a nicely sewn garment that wouldn't fit me, even if I gobbled up all the seam allowance.

Anyhow, I've been a member of the Cashmerette club for over a year now and Jenny released a jeans pattern, last year, which prompted me to make it a priority to have another go. The pockets are a bit odd, to account for the fact that one of the views has an elasticated channel to make the waistband flexible - not for me, after looking at the details as I need a belt to keep bottoms up due to the lack of anything to hang them on. They're also wider legged than I would normally wear but they come with copious pattern support and I think they're a good starting point for me.

I put together a basic first toile, just in calico, over the Christmas holidays. I did a straight size 8 without the big bum adjustment because I have a rather flat bum. I don't expect this to inform me of any more than whether I need to grade up to a 10 for the waist or adjust the rise, as I've never made any Cashmerette bottoms before. That's a job for next week.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 16:43:08 PM by Ouryve »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2024, 17:09:12 PM »
That’s a good example of how different we all are @realale
And different styles of trousers etc have different crotch shapes 

Ros

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 19:40:49 PM »
@Ouryve I sewed the crestons up. Firstly using some hideous non stretch denim (grim colour and lightweight) with the slant pockets etc, to get the basic fit. I can see using this for chinos more than jeans. As I had some stretch demin in stash I made modifications for more normal jeans pockets, narrowed the legs etc and then sized down one size for that. So it worked as a good base pattern for starting. I do have a hankering to try the Anna Allen Helene pattern at some point in the future though.