The Sewing Place

Hi folks, another newbie-ish guy here.

grndkntrl

Hi folks, another newbie-ish guy here.
« on: January 06, 2024, 19:51:58 PM »
Well I've just bought my first sewing machine - a Brother FS40s, via Barnardos (the kids charity) ebay store - after having binged all 9 series of The Great British Sewing Bee over the last month.

I've actually wanted a machine for a while now as I have a few things I want to make at home: a cover for my old Ikea Karlstad sofa, some cushion covers, new roman blinds for the kitchen, bathroom & bedrooms, and a few other odds & ends.

Then I'd like to have a go at making some clothes for myself, because being a lanky 1.92m (6'2") guy with a long inseam, large thighs & narrow waist, it can be a pain trying to find clothes that actually fit me well.

I'm not totally new to sewing machines though as I can remember the Home Ec. classes at secondary school back in the 90's, of which half were actually about Fashion & Design, so not just the cooking lessons.

My mum was an avid sewer and had a Singer from the mid 70's, so I picked up some basic knowledge from her too, although I've never done anything with it until now.

My older sister has also done a fair bit of sewing in the past- she made the previous set of roman blinds I've now inherited, and she made her own wedding dresses.

So after the big TGBSB binge, getting a few books of interest (Alison Smith's The Sewing Book, Aldrich's Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear, and Kershaw's Pattern Cutting for Menswear), hanging out on the /r/Sewing subreddit (which is predominantly slanted towards folks on the other side of the pond), and watching a bunch of stuff on youTube, I decided it was time to join in and have a go myself.

Anyway.... I'm mostly a lurker, and being an introverted information sponge is kinda my thing, so I probably won't be posting that much, but I wanted to say hello.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 19:55:16 PM by grndkntrl »
Just starting out with a Brother FS40s for now!

Also dabbling in 3D printing & electronics.

Surest1tch

Re: Hi folks, another newbie-ish guy here.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 20:13:13 PM »
Well hello @grndkntrl, have a good look round, we'll soon whet your appetite for asking questions. I'm lanky too especially for a woman (6') and a retired qualified tailor and still find I've forgotten how to do something or even have to ask things I don't think I ever knew. Join in, we never laugh at or criticise our pals to which you are now one of

realale

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 20:30:05 PM »
Welcome @grndkntrl.
There are some knowledgeable folks on here so any question,  just ask.
So many beers, so little time.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 21:24:29 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP @grndkntrl 
Still learning

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 22:32:28 PM »
Hi @grndkntrl welcome to TSP it’s a great place to be with lots of very knowledgable people.
Crafting is my happy place

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 22:33:30 PM »
Hi, @grndkntrl - I mostly lurked for my first couple of months here.

Happy sewing!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 22:36:26 PM »
Hello and welcome! We sincerely hope that you won't just lurk!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 23:08:51 PM »
Welcome to TSP.  I’m the opposite of lanky at only 5 ft.  :laughing:  so I have problems with fitting and make virtually all my own  clothes and have done for donkeys years.
There’s lots knowledgeable people on here.   So ask if you need help.  But we like to see what you make. 

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 23:16:08 PM »
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing what you make. Cushion covers are a good starting point to get familiar with your machine. Lots of experienced people who are generous with advice when needed.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Puzzler

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 07:22:56 AM »
Welcome to TSP! Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you get stuck.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 08:31:14 AM »
Hi @grndkntrl   and welcome from me too  :VV:  Sounds like an exciting time ahead for you, enjoy your new hobby!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 09:49:51 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

In case no-one else mentions it, we love to pics of anything and everything you make  0_0

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 09:51:25 AM »
Welcome @grndkntrl .  Lurk and search by all means but let us know how your projects are going.
Try a bit of chit-chat so you can get to the '25 posts and being here a fortnight' threshold then you can post links if you wish.
Happy new hobby  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 10:35:42 AM »
Hiya @grndkntrl your approach sounds realistic.

You'll get used to your machine sewing the household textiles, which will help you learn some techniques you can later use when you start garment sewing. If you put a few zips and buttonhole closures on your cushions you'll have practised that before you want to put it onto clothing.

On the clothing front you'll need to learn what fit alterations you need to make (mostly adding length it sounds like) as well as the techniques for sewing the garments. I'd suggest starting with something simple like a sweatshirt top and elasticated trousers, lounge wear at home :-) before tackling more fitted things.

If you stay with the same brand of sewing patterns - e.g. Burda, then your alterations will be the same each time.

Good Luck and please do share as you go along!

Hideout Hen

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 11:41:51 AM »
Hello, I reckon most people start sewing to make clothes that fit their non standard shape. ( Is anyone a standard shape? )
You'll end up with original clothing, much more interesting than off the peg stuff.  :)
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.