The Sewing Place

What were your favorite makes in 2023?

CCL

What were your favorite makes in 2023?
« on: January 07, 2024, 15:59:23 PM »
I love starting the new year by thinking about my favorite sewing projects in the previous year.   So two questions for everyone:

• What was your favorite sewing project - just for the fun of sewing it - in 2023?
  • What was your favorite thing you made last year - based on how lovely it turned out - in 2023!
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Ouryve

Re: What were your favorite makes in 2023?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 16:13:49 PM »
On both counts, despite the sewing experience being blighted by my eyesight, it has to be my Liberty lawn Atlas blouse. I enjoy fiddly stuff and it suits my style.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

CCL

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 16:31:34 PM »
Ooooh, I remember that one, loved the binding and the buttons - everything goes together so well on that garment!  Lovely stitching!  Nice make!
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 16:54:29 PM »
My favourite was the very first thing I did last year - although I didn't produce an awful lot to choose from over the year.

I've used it a lot, and it is wearing very well.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 16:58:48 PM »
@Acorn I love this bag, i've must have missed the post first time round as i don't remember seeing it  :embarrassed:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 17:04:54 PM »
Thank you!  It's a Lynette Andersen design, the cream panels are hand appliqué and embroidery on cotton velvet (possibly velveteen), and the grey is boiled wool.

I adapted it a bit - the pattern had a plain back, but I put a second appliqué panel onto it, and made the front panel all in one piece - it had a seam down the middle on the pattern.  The lining is plain pale blue cotton, and has a pocket and a key clip.  I was going to put a decorative button onto the closing flap, which has a magnetic closure on the underside, but I didn't get around to it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 17:08:30 PM »
I made a lot of garments last year but have a few favourites for different reasons

https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2023/06/oldest-ufo-finished-sophisticated.html
Jacket I cut out in 2008 and finally finished in 2023. This gave me a great deal of satisfaction. It fits well but I've not actually worn it yet.

https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2023/09/cotton-floral-shirt.html
Cotton floral shirt with pockets. I've worn this a lot and love it.

https://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2023/02/denim-utility-gilet.html
Denim utility gilet. Really good for travel because of the many pockets.

All the garments I made for my friend C because I learned so much about fitting and because having clothes that fit did so much for her self confidence.
I just looked back and apparently I sewed for her - 4 t shirts, 2 skirt, 2 jackets, 1 cardigan, and 12 dresses (10 pictured)!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 17:14:18 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Starryfish

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 17:49:30 PM »
For sheer wearability Merchant and Mills Harlene dungarees. There was so much topstitching however.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

CCL

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 18:32:03 PM »
@Starryfish, @SewRuthieSews, @Diane , @Ouryve, and @Acorn - loving these - that gorgeous bag, the excellent precision sewing of the utility gilet, ufo jacket, blouse, dungarees!  Such different things and yet all such wonderful examples of craftpersonship!

I think the garment I was most happy with - for wearing and fun was my pinafore - and it wasn't even a planned garment - just something to use up some fabric I had bought for niece - but her tastes and mine are not in sync.  Next favorite would have to be the Watanabe Basic Black pinafore with the external darting.   

OOP S7372-pinafore

Sato Watanabe cord jumper

But the most fun were the donkey and rabbit!!

donkey  Xanthe Designs

Bunny - Xanthe Designs
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 18:47:41 PM by CCL »

Ouryve

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 20:35:18 PM »
They are all lovely makes, @CCL.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 20:47:14 PM »
Helen's Closet, Blackwood Cardigan, so flipping easy.  I made five last year and just had a delivery for another one.

Not sure I like the colour of Helen's blaclwood.  So far I have a couple russet reds, a pale green, light blue,grey and next a cream. Last one was meant to be shorter this next will be.  I don't put the pockets on either

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 21:00:32 PM »
My favourite sew for last year was the doll's sports bag, just for fun.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I don't think I sewed anything new, just a lot of repairs, alterations  and knitting.  Also curtains and a footstool recovered so not a lot of sewing there either.  Lost a lot of my sewing time to my student and I was very pleased with the way her blouse turned out. She also made two bags, designed from scratch, (by me) one with a waterproof lining and one with custom pockets for her daughter.  Those worked well too.
Have to make this year I get something done for me, I think.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 21:37:55 PM »
This thread makes me realise I'm not as good as cataloguing my makes as. I used to be. I need to get more organised.

My favourite makeof 2023 was my knock off of a Toast dress which I made by adapting a Simplicity pattern (can't remember which one now). It has a load of pintucks. The fabric is a particularly nice musard chambray with a good weight. I made another pintuck dress - the Style Arc Xanthe in a tartan - but I don't love it as much as the mustard dress.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 21:43:41 PM »
My two favourites completed in 2023** were the 1000 stars quilt and the Sparkling Stars quilt. They were large projects for an inexperienced quilter and I was very pleased with the results.

**It was started in early in 2022 so a bit of a marathon!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

CCL

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 22:11:56 PM »
Wow!  Such great things - I love seeing the huge variety of what we make!   @Gernella - I love that sweater... I have been musing about making a "coatigan" type sweater for a while now and I am going to have to look up that pattern.   @toileandtrouble - oh so cute bag!  What are the dimensions - given it is a doll's bag?  @Tamnymore - Pintucks!  I love pintucks, but I confess, they do intimidate me.  Afraid I will go all wobbly with them.  I am impressed.  @Flobear - quilts!  I thought your Sparkling Stars quilt was seriously beautiful.   Off the top of my head, I don't remember your 1000 stars quilt, so I will have go look at your diary to see if I can find it!

Edited to Add:  Is this it, @Flobear ??
Done! I'm pleased with the result. At 57 ins square it's the biggest item I've quilted so far. 

It will hang outside the guest bedroom when I have made a hanger thingy for it.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 22:20:12 PM by CCL »