The Sewing Place

What were your favorite makes in 2023?

realale

Re: What were your favorite makes in 2023?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 22:18:57 PM »
It's gotta be the quilt.  :P

But what about son's mammoth coat???

Sewing for me it was probably McCalls 8240 which I made 3 or 4 times and wear a lot. Although the mandala bags I made are in daily use. And the Bunny bookmarks, (they have become a cult thing amongst my friends with one appearing in various places around the med as he went on a cruise).

The coat and the quilt took up most of the year - or seemed to anyway!!
So many beers, so little time.

CCL

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 22:21:08 PM »
@realale - I am so in awe of that quilt.  Priceless.  Gorgeous.  I don't have enough adjectives to describe it!
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

toileandtrouble

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2024, 07:52:24 AM »
@CCL It is the Sporty bag from Doll Tag Clothing.  It is for an 18" doll and measures 6.25" x 4.25"   x 2.5"
I wish I had waited to interface the fabric ( it's a bit floppy)  but I got inspired by some offcuts  of heavy curtaining that toned so well with the herringbone tape.  It is actually an off white background, not that dark cream it shows in the picture. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Flobear

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 08:12:54 AM »
Yes @CCL that's my 1000 stars quilt. Looking at realale's post reminds me that a bookcase quilt is next on my Dark side list. One block made so far!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 13:00:10 PM »
I didn't seem to do a great deal of garment making in 2023 but in my defence I did quilt and weave stuff too  :)

I think the thing I enjoyed most was the inaugural weave on my new floor loom which I bought when I went out for some cat biscuits!  I had no idea how to use a loom with shafts and treadles but after one quick sample I put on a long warp and wove 5 tea towels.  I fell in love with the loom and found it really comfortable and easy to use, I think it was made for me (at 5' 2" I can't often say that about anything).  I was particularly pleased with the result as I am a very novice weaver.

The garment I was most pleased with was the dress I made for mum's funeral.  I don't wear dresses / skirts and will probably never wear it again.  Sometimes, when you make something, everything conspires against you but I think mum must have been using her influence because everything just happened right and I enjoyed the sewing..  I found exactly the type of fabric I was hoping to find - a lovely quality black cotton sateen with flowers on it and it was end of line and only £2.99 / m.  I also found just the pattern I wanted, had to do very little alteration and it sewed up with no problems.  I even managed to get the bodice lining out of some satin offcuts from a jacket lining.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

smurf44

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 16:29:09 PM »
@realale  I am in awe of that coat!!  can i have one ;)

CCL

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 20:34:30 PM »
@Ploshkin  - I am so envious!  I always wanted to take up weaving - I think the size of the looms frightened me (no space) and I wasn't as interested in the smaller looms.

That dress is beautiful - respectful and yet seems to show celebration of memory.  Really is a lovely dress for a somber time.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2024, 21:08:13 PM »
This brought me the most joy for 2023 and my most favorite to sew

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2024, 21:19:11 PM »
And the best cuddles, I should think!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

CCL

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2024, 22:07:50 PM »
@kowgiirl.up  - I love that bear!  <3   <3    <3

PS, I have that lamp!!!

Flobear

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2024, 22:22:59 PM »
Thank you for initiating this thread @CCL , it's lovely to see people's favourites  :loveit:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ouryve

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2024, 22:40:29 PM »
This brought me the most joy for 2023 and my most favorite to sew

Cute. Both bear and machine  :love:
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2024, 23:14:08 PM »
I don’t seem to have made too many pieces of clothing this year for some reason.  ::thinks::
I did another Appliscape which I always like.  And two bags which turned out well and they are in constant use.  I also made one for mum after she saw mine and that’s used daily. 
The tee shirts I made for the grandsons were an instant hit so that gives me pleasure too. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2024, 12:21:37 PM »
@CCL I have always wanted to weave, ever since I was a child weaving on bits of cornflake packet with zig zag edges.  Like you I always thought looms were massive and I didn't have room. 
I did start of during lockdown with a small rigid heddle but quickly went on to a 20" rigid heddle as I wanted to weave fabric for garments.  I hadn't intended buying a floor loom but it just happened.  The one I have got (Harrisville 4 shaft) has a 36" weaving width but it's footprint  is only 42" wide x 35" deep and it can fold up to just 14" wide if you want to push it up to a wall.  It is not too high either.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Lemon Syllabub

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2024, 12:44:32 PM »
Love this thread.
 :perfect10:

A very inspirational way to start 2024.  :VV: